Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 1Pi - 2Pi plans (1Pi/2Pi HT setup)
1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71380] Thu, 16 February 2012 16:00 Go to next message
miamiwood is currently offline  miamiwood
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

Have been following the "Constant Directivity" threads on all the forums. Was contemplating "Econowaves" but the more I read, I have decided the completeness of your designs and knowledgeable support are the way to go.

I am setting up a bedroom (dedicated to HT) that is carpeted and 13' wide (front wall) by 20' deep (side walls) by 8' high. There are two bump-outs centrally located on the left/right walls that are 8' wide by 3' deep (they run floor to ceiling). The back wall has the door, & a closet 7' wide by 2.5' deep. Will only have 2 or 3 seats, at back of the room - 14' from the front.

Will run a mid-range AVR (yet to buy) to power everything for now. Will also build two flanking Diy Subs with their own power as per your suggestions. Am starting small & building up my system as I go.

I will eventually build the upgraded 3Pi's for mains, but for now will start with an L-C-R utilizing 1Pi/2Pi's. I can move the smaller speakers to surround duties later.

The questions are (yes it took me a while to get to them):

1) What will give me the best sound for now up front - I assume 2Pi floor standers and a regular 2Pi for center (assume one/two subs running with them). Or possibly 3 floorstanders. My layout is flexible. I want the best center channel experience I can get. The 3Pi's I will run later may run phantom, but I don't think the smaller Pi's can pull that off.

2) If I build floor-standers, can I re-do the cab's to re-purpose them as surrounds without re-doing the XO's?

3) I like the smaller 1Pi's, and they'd fit better as surrounds. The subs will be filling in the low end. Would I be giving up any dynamics in the L-R channel or voices from the center by going with 1Pi's - I guess the answer to be yes, but how much?

Can you send me 1Pi/2Pi plans, for both bookshelf & floorstanders to look over? Thank you so much for all the effort you put into your designs and the website/forum. I look forward to your suggestions.

Chris

Re: 1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71381 is a reply to message #71380] Thu, 16 February 2012 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Answers by numbers:

1. The best would be three π speakers with flanking subs up front, and one π or two π speakers for surrounds. Next best would be two π towers up front.

2. Two π and two π tower speakers are perfect for surrounds, no crossover changes needed.

3. One π speakers are also perfect for surrounds. They do not have the extension of the two π speakers though. From 100Hz up, they're very much the same, but below 100Hz, the two π speaker has more body.

I'll send plans to your email address.

Re: 1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71382 is a reply to message #71381] Thu, 16 February 2012 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the quick response Wayne,

I won't be able to build 3Pi's for a while ($ constraints), so the 2Pi's up front will have to tide me over for now.

So 2Pi floor-standers - L/R Mains

1) What would you run for the center?
A 2Pi Bass Reflex or another 2Pi floor-stander? Or will the 2Pi mains be able to phantom well enough. I'd like decent/good center channel audio, especially for the voices. My Onkyo HTIB setup is killing me.

2) Just making sure....if I rebuild a 2Pi floor-stander into a Bass Reflex later on, I can keep the same XO?
Re: 1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71386 is a reply to message #71382] Thu, 16 February 2012 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Both the tower and studio monitor versions of the two π model are bass-reflex speakers. They also use the same crossover. The only difference is the tower goes about an octave lower, due to its added size. For that reason, I'd prefer it over the smaller model, if size isn't an issue.

Re: 1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71389 is a reply to message #71386] Thu, 16 February 2012 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Ok, then 3 2Pi towers it is!

I just hope they don't sound too good - still want to build those awesome 3Pi's to replace them one day!

Thanks for all your help Wayne

Chris
Re: 1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71397 is a reply to message #71389] Fri, 17 February 2012 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
I think you are in for a great surprise. I love my 1pi and 2pi speakers. I opted to go with the smaller monitor style as I just prefer the look and wasn't worried about extension. Here is a thread of mine with some pics.
http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=68266&&srch=2pi#msg_68266
Re: 1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71398 is a reply to message #71397] Fri, 17 February 2012 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hey Justphil,

Yes, I read your post and "Smokars"...lots of good info. I am considering the monitors now after looking at the tower plans - they are ginormous.

How do you like yours for movies, specifically the center. I will probably do a similar arrangement. Noticed that your center is a little low, does it sound good in that position? Any comparisons to other speakers you've heard?

Also curious where/if you crossed them. Wayne suggested running them full or crossing at the Helmholz freq which is 40Hz for the 2Pi.

Chris
Re: 1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71402 is a reply to message #71398] Fri, 17 February 2012 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Chris,

Run PI speakers full range. The subs, use at least two are added to the system, and you will have to decide which is the best frequency to roll them in. You will have plenty of dynamic range with any PI speaker. In fact, if you have some big time home theater amps like ATI's you will have to be careful not to play so loud as to damage your ears. The combination of PI speakers and a good amp are a formidable, very low distortion combination. Get a SPL meter, really. You are gonna' love them.

Steve Cool
Re: 1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71413 is a reply to message #71398] Sat, 18 February 2012 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
miamiwood wrote on Fri, 17 February 2012 08:27
Hey Justphil,

Yes, I read your post and "Smokars"...lots of good info. I am considering the monitors now after looking at the tower plans - they are ginormous.

How do you like yours for movies, specifically the center. I will probably do a similar arrangement. Noticed that your center is a little low, does it sound good in that position? Any comparisons to other speakers you've heard?

Also curious where/if you crossed them. Wayne suggested running them full or crossing at the Helmholz freq which is 40Hz for the 2Pi.

Chris

I use my speakers as 95% HT and think they are amazing. The only comparison I can make is to my old Pioneer 4 ways they replaced. I like the way they sound better than the Pioneers did. I run them on full as I am currently still using only 1 sub. We have since changed the room we watch TV in and raised the TV higher up on the wall thus allowing me to build a mini stand to bring the speaker up to the same height as the other 2 pi speakers. This really didn't change the way the center sounded as it was slightly angled up to direct the sound at ear level. I just like how they look all being at the same height better (damn OCD) =P

I watch movies at about -10 and boy howdy its loud. I get allot of compliments on my HT from those that have heard it. When I listen to music though it a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I never used to go over "0" to the + side. I will tell you this. They sound just killer when you start to feed them large amounts of power. I feel like I am in an auditorium at a concert.
Re: 1Pi - 2Pi plans [message #71414 is a reply to message #71413] Sat, 18 February 2012 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Esquire
Steve,
I plan on running two subs, not sure which ones yet, but thinking about the 3Pi Subwoofer. Will run the mains full, that seems to be the consensus. I honestly thought the 2Pi's were going to be just "pretty good" speakers but I keep getting such glowing feedback on them - am getting very excited to start building.

Phil,
I don't really listen to movies very loud, but that might change! Will be powering them with a good mid range AVR for now, maybe dedicated amps later on. How do you like your TT sub (I think that's what you have)?

Thanks guys for all the feedback and help. It makes building Wayne's designs very reassuring and a no-brainer! Can't wait to get these things running.

Chris
Previous Topic: Powering my PI Speakers
Next Topic: 8 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 01:11:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers