Home » Audio » Craftsmen » A micro-programmable tube tracer
A micro-programmable tube tracer [message #71367] Wed, 15 February 2012 11:15 Go to next message
Carson is currently offline  Carson
Chancellor
Does anyone have any experience making a micro-programmable tube tracer/tester? I was curious how hard this would be, and any tips would be appreciated.
Re: A micro-programmable tube tracer [message #71369 is a reply to message #71367] Wed, 15 February 2012 12:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You basically need to have every socket and switching logic to connect a variety of tubes in a circuit that will operate it at various levels. The tube circuit needs biasing and load resistors and a dial movement (at minimum), long-persistence CRT or D/A and A/D converter and control/capture software to display and/or record current through the tube. For a simple single point bias level, it can be done with fixed resistors but to automatically generate a load line, a sawtooth wave generator is required to "sweep" the tube. Lots of wiring in there to allow it to be configurable for any tube.

But this is not a new technology. These kinds of devices have been around for years. So I think I'd probably just buy one and consider it money well spent. It's a lot of work to build one and you'd be re-inventing the wheel.

Previous Topic: Movie watching comfort
Next Topic: PSD2002 or B&C DE250
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:44:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout