Home » Audio » Source » CDs on BluRay and DVD players (Can you recommend a good CD player?)
Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71272 is a reply to message #71264] Tue, 07 February 2012 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Very instructive Wayne.

In the late 50s, I built an Eico pre/power amp. 14 watts per channel! Point to point wiring, low noise tubes, all discrete components. No one was more surprised than I when I turned it on and it worked!

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71273 is a reply to message #71272] Tue, 07 February 2012 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's awesome, Floyd!

One of these days, maybe you'll try one of Bruce's tube amp kits. They're still fun to build, and they sound good too. Tubes and high-efficiency speakers are a match made in heaven.

I mean, there are some really good solid state amps out there too. Don't think I'm selling you on tube amps or BluRay/CD players or whatever. I have some good solid state amps that work well for prosound use. I have a good solid-state Harman-Kardon receiver and I've had a few good solid-state Yamaha receivers over the years too. So don't think I'm being dismissive by any means. It's just that a good tube amp is really nice too.

Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71283 is a reply to message #71273] Tue, 07 February 2012 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
That might be really fun. It would be something I could actually assemble. I have big hands and old school soldering equipment and tools. Factory electronics have become so small that the tiny wires and connectors and circuitry make misery out of something that used to be fun.

I'm disassembling my Pi speakers so that a wood working shop can laminate them. They will be a dark midnight blue with a high gloss finish.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71292 is a reply to message #71271] Wed, 08 February 2012 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I can actually think of two good reasons to not keep everything in the cloud. One the host goes belly up and files for chapter 11. Also as was pointed out to some folk at last years audio fest in Dallas... bandwidth problems. They were unable to download the stuff in real time. having it stored on a server in your own house is likely a good thing. At least keep a backup copy there. Drive space is now really cheap.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71293 is a reply to message #71292] Wed, 08 February 2012 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I think so too. I've heard about a lot of people having trouble streaming video from Netflix and so forth. I also read that Netflix by itself is taking up something like 15% of the internet traffic in peak hours.

When all this streaming drags down the net enough to interfere with normal commerce, the FCC is going to step in and change things.

Wayne says you sell tube amplifier kits. Do you have a web site? You guys have me curious now.

Floyd

Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71295 is a reply to message #71293] Wed, 08 February 2012 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

gofar99 wrote on Wed, 08 February 2012 13:11
Hi, I can actually think of two good reasons to not keep everything in the cloud. One the host goes belly up and files for chapter 11. Also as was pointed out to some folk at last years audio fest in Dallas... bandwidth problems. They were unable to download the stuff in real time. having it stored on a server in your own house is likely a good thing. At least keep a backup copy there. Drive space is now really cheap.

Why were you thinking about cloud storage verses local storage? What brought that to mind?

FloydV wrote on Wed, 08 February 2012 13:54
Wayne says you sell tube amplifier kits. Do you have a web site? You guys have me curious now.
Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71297 is a reply to message #71295] Wed, 08 February 2012 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Thanks Wayne for posting the links. OT for sure, but there are several new things not on the web site. Unfortunately about 5 months ago our web master died. Sad We have not yet found a suitable replacement so the site is not updated.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71299 is a reply to message #71295] Wed, 08 February 2012 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Something gofar99 wrote. I don't really remember the context anymore.

The main idea I was presenting was to rip discs to a server I want to build. Maybe he was thinking about the servers used by people who sell storage or stream from them to customers.

I think someone was talking about high definition music, much higher than CD quality and I expressed an interest in buying music by download that would be HD quality. The only downloads I had been aware of were mp3 quality, which is horrible.

I didn't realize you could buy high resolution music via the net. I certainly am not interested in streaming music or video. There are too many bugs in that fledgling industry.

Floyd

Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71319 is a reply to message #71264] Thu, 09 February 2012 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 07 February 2012 17:10

Here's a nice little booklet about tubes:

Thought you could use a good laugh. Someone at AVS forum put this up:

index.php?t=getfile&id=712&private=0

Re: CDs on BluRay and DVD players [message #71333 is a reply to message #71319] Thu, 09 February 2012 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi , It looks like a piece of my driveway. That being the case.... I can probably source about 500 of them for anyone who would like one. If you want Cardas wire with it there is an extra charge of $400, so a tube version with Cardas wire would be $699 + 199 + 400. That would be $1298. Free shipping. A real good deal (at least for me) Laughing

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Old and New
Next Topic: Lundhal Input Transformers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:27:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers