Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Ideas for a beginner bass guitar
Ideas for a beginner bass guitar [message #71209] Fri, 03 February 2012 20:58 Go to next message
Miranda Starr is currently offline  Miranda Starr
Chancellor
A friend of mine is forming a classic rock band, and he wants me to play bass in it. I'm a decent guitar player, but I haven't played much bass. Since I'm relatively new to the instrument, I don't want to spend too much money in case this band doesn't work out. I was looking at a Yamaha RBX374. It seems to get mostly favorable reviews, and it's in my price range. Does anyone know much about this bass, or have any other suggestions?
Re: Ideas for a beginner bass guitar [message #71326 is a reply to message #71209] Thu, 09 February 2012 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisR is currently offline  chrisR
Baron
I mostly play guitar, but bought a Cort Action Bass. I ended up installing a humbucking Jazz bass pickup in the bridge position to elimiate the single coil niose, but other than that, I really like it. Ended up with a Gallien-Kurger 400RB-III. Really like that!
Re: Ideas for a beginner bass guitar [message #71338 is a reply to message #71209] Fri, 10 February 2012 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miranda Starr is currently offline  Miranda Starr
Chancellor
I have mixed feelings about Gallien-Krueger. I really like the sound of their amps, but I've heard a couple horror stories about their reliability. I'm glad it's working for you though.

I think I'm going to try my first choice, the Yamaha RBX374. The Cort Action bass looks like another good choice though, thanks for the suggestion.
Re: Ideas for a beginner bass guitar [message #71348 is a reply to message #71338] Fri, 10 February 2012 18:13 Go to previous message
chrisR is currently offline  chrisR
Baron
Interesting. Not that I follow it too much, but I've never heard anything bad about GK. They've been around for many years.
I bought mine used off eBay from a pawn shop somewhere, and it did have an issue that I was able to repair. Since then, it's been rock solid, and the sound and controls are really nice. It's connected to a JBL M151, so that probably helps. ^:)
Previous Topic: Child starter drums
Next Topic: Your first real/computer instrument?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:16:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio