Home » Audio » Speaker » Another array question
Another array question [message #71203] Fri, 03 February 2012 17:06 Go to next message
jdsackett is currently offline  jdsackett
Esquire
Hello. I just got through reading every line array thread in the 75 or so pages in this forum. Still didn't get my questions answered, so here goes. Is it okay to use oval drivers in an array?? Parts express has some 3x5 ovals that i like the looks of but i saw no one in the previous threads using ovals so maybe there is a reason for it. My thinking is it shortens the center to center distance and raises combing frequency. But I am a retired auto body guy, not a speaker expert.

Using a line of tweeters spaced an inch apart will comb at around 13khz?? Would it be acceptable to run 1 supertweet along side the tweeter line for the extreme upper frequencies?? If so, could you wire it with the tweet line and just do a high pass cap on it??

I think i want to run these guys open backed. The mid drivers have a qts of 1.0 something so this should be ok??

I intend to bi-amp using active xo. Actually tri-amp counting the woofer. Using cheap drivers, I am fully aware that these will not be the finest of speakers, but would like to build them just for grins if nothing else. I have read Dr Griffin's white paper, Thanks Doc, much appreciated.

Anyway, would appreciate any input you guys care to share. Best regards, J.D.
Re: Another array question [message #71205 is a reply to message #71203] Fri, 03 February 2012 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oval drivers do decrease center-to-center spacing, that's true. But they also usually have really weird breakup behavior. One would thing that the shape might tend to help certain breakup modes - and it might - but in practice, most oval drivers aren't all that great.

Re: Another array question [message #71212 is a reply to message #71205] Sat, 04 February 2012 07:28 Go to previous message
jdsackett is currently offline  jdsackett
Esquire
Well, thanks Wayne. I thought there must be some reason nobody was using them. Appreciate the input and thanks for taking the time to reply. Regards, J.D.
Previous Topic: Speaker life
Next Topic: Best 5.1 Speaker system for PC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:45:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout