Home » Audio » Source » Record player
Record player [message #71128] Mon, 30 January 2012 00:31 Go to next message
spinright is currently offline  spinright
Chancellor
My spouse has an old record player that needs a new needle and "tune-up" from a reliable source. Is there a certain place you highly recommend for this sort of thing? I'd like it to be a surprise fix.
Re: Record player [message #71131 is a reply to message #71128] Mon, 30 January 2012 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Turntables aren't a "lost art" - at least not yet. Most stereo repair shops can still repair turntables. As for the needle, try NeedleDoctor.com.

Re: Record player [message #71141 is a reply to message #71131] Mon, 30 January 2012 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, What brand / model and maybe I can recommend a specific source. Send photos if in doubt.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Record player [message #71144 is a reply to message #71141] Mon, 30 January 2012 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the recommendation! I don't see a model number, but the brand is Technics. I might just get him a new one altogether. What do you think would be better?
Re: Record player [message #71151 is a reply to message #71128] Mon, 30 January 2012 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Technics is a common brand and several of their models are quite good. As for replacing it... it hinges on two things mostly. How much are you willing to pay and what are you connecting it to. What is the rest of the system? A third thought is what are you going to want in the way of quality. Turntables run from under $100 (not good) to many 10's of thousands of dollars (not good either at least on my budget). If you can provide some more information, I, or some others will try to guide you.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Record player [message #71183 is a reply to message #71128] Wed, 01 February 2012 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Okay, I casually asked the model Twisted Evil. It's a Technics SL-BD20D. It connects to a Pioneer receiver, with 2 floor standing speakers. I say our budget is probably around $500 or less.
Re: Record player [message #71198 is a reply to message #71183] Thu, 02 February 2012 21:47 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, You might consider something like a Pro-ject Debut III (about $350 retail- perhaps a little less if you dicker with the dealer). I have one as my back up and right out out the box they are rather good. Got a good write up in Stereophile about a year ago and they tend to be rather picky. Get the plain black one and save about $50. The standard cartridge is OK and if you get the urge you can upgrade it just by replacing the needle. User replaceable needles is a plus. I damaged my main cartridge (bent the needle Embarassed )and it was $250 to get it fixed. Rega makes a model that is just a bit more than the P_J and is quite good. Stay away from any new ones that are below about $250-275. Most in that price range are not worth taking out of the box Crying or Very Sad

Good listening
Bruce

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Jensen Turntable Garbled sound
Next Topic: Old and New
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:21:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio