Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Kid-proof (Childproofing equipment)
Kid-proof [message #71124] Sun, 29 January 2012 21:02 Go to next message
lostinstereo is currently offline  lostinstereo
Chancellor
My son has just begun crawling. Do you have any tips on how to child proof the speakers, cords, and general area for him? Currently everything is reachable and on the floor, but I can't live without my sound!
Re: Kid-proof [message #71239 is a reply to message #71124] Sun, 05 February 2012 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miranda Starr is currently offline  Miranda Starr
Chancellor
It sounds like you're already aware of the main problem, which is that everything is within reach. It's pretty hard to get cords off the floor, so I'd suggest fencing off the areas where they're at.
Re: Kid-proof [message #71241 is a reply to message #71124] Mon, 06 February 2012 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Yes, fencing should work. You can buy a Superyard XT and use it to fence around the areas you need, although it won't attach to the wall since it only attaches to itself.
Re: Kid-proof [message #71434 is a reply to message #71241] Mon, 20 February 2012 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
How about a fence type gate in the doorway?

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Kid-proof [message #71529 is a reply to message #71434] Sat, 25 February 2012 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
FloydV wrote on Mon, 20 February 2012 18:28
How about a fence type gate in the doorway?

That's exactly what we do with our pets, and it works just fine. I'm not trying to compare kids to pets or anything, but fencing in the doorway should get the job done. Smile
Re: Kid-proof [message #71555 is a reply to message #71529] Mon, 27 February 2012 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yep. That's exactly what I meant. They make all kinds of "fences" to keep kids away from places they shouldn't be. There are models that don't have to be removed to close a door either.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Kid-proof [message #72452 is a reply to message #71124] Mon, 30 April 2012 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
likearecordbaby
Baron
Creating some sort of barrier is your best bet (either a makeshift wall or a separate room entirely). You can use covers or mats to conceal any wires.
Re: Kid-proof [message #72754 is a reply to message #71124] Sun, 20 May 2012 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The wires to our side speakers are under the carpet, but they come up to the back of the speakers and short lengths are accessible to the kids. We put some duct tape on the back to help hold the wires in when she yanked on them, but mostly we just spent a lot of time redirecting her until she learned to leave the wires alone.
Re: Kid-proof [message #72755 is a reply to message #72754] Sun, 20 May 2012 15:16 Go to previous message
Master
Things that really creep me out about kids are those little fingers that can find the most obscure controls and settings. They also have a penchant for putting things like remotes in water.

Or, how about coloring on your FP screen. Yikes!

Floyd

Previous Topic: paint matters?
Next Topic: Inexpensive soundproofing?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:59:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout