Home » xyzzy » Tower » Taking electronics abroad
Taking electronics abroad [message #70977] Fri, 13 January 2012 03:54 Go to next message
Drury is currently offline  Drury
Baron
My sister called earlier to complain about her kids. She's trying to pack for a winer vacation abroad and they want to take half a suitcase of electronics! Not just the items but the adapters and cords too, so it all adds up to a fair weight. I'd rather leave computers and phones at home when I take a trip, but maybe it's a generational thing?
Re: Taking electronics abroad [message #70979 is a reply to message #70977] Fri, 13 January 2012 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Don't forget that overseas power is run at a different voltage level. She'll probably need converters, and some stuff doesn't run on converters. Barrier strips with protection will blow, because of the spikes generated by them. So I'm not sure taking the electronics is a good idea.

Re: Taking electronics abroad [message #70987 is a reply to message #70979] Fri, 13 January 2012 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have a great cost saving idea, take the gear and leave the kids home Very Happy

Me. I would take a smart phone (check with provider for special rates where you are going) and skip the rest.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Taking electronics abroad [message #72012 is a reply to message #70977] Wed, 04 April 2012 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree with Wayne, being a world traveler, different countries have different voltages. Usually 220V in Europe, Africa, Asia etc. 100v in Japan but it's the frequency you have to watch out for. Your electronics may be able to handle 120/220v but it must also be able to handle a 50hz line frequency. This is what usually fries most electronics.
Re: Taking electronics abroad [message #72014 is a reply to message #72012] Wed, 04 April 2012 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What I've had the most trouble with is the output of the power converter, itself. Most of the little jobs use a switching supply that makes a nasty signal with a lot of HF spikes. It's pretty much square waves into a transformer. So the edge spikes kill the electronics. As I said, you can't even use a barrier strip on the output of one of these things if it has MOVs inside because the spikes will kill the MOVs. They try to clamp the spikes and die in the process.

The power converters don't make enough power to warrant using a barrier strip, really, but sometimes it's convenient to have just as a distribution panel. Might have the phone charger, the camera charger and a couple other doo-dads on the line, only really using light current from the supply. So it's convenient to have a barrier strip rather than to have to plug and unplug every time you want to change devices. But again, make sure the barrier strip doesn't have surge-protection built-in, 'cause it will smoke the MOVs - which fail shorted - taking out your power converter in the process.

Re: Taking electronics abroad [message #72084 is a reply to message #70977] Tue, 10 April 2012 12:52 Go to previous message
rogerking is currently offline  rogerking
Chancellor
I had to learn the hard way when we went to visit some family in the UK about the different plugs, we were not savvy travelers either. It took us two full days before we found a store that carried what we needed.
Previous Topic: Jim Marshall the maker of Marshall amps died.
Next Topic: Navy Jet Crash
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:17:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout