Home » xyzzy » Tower » Learning an instrument helps in Math?
Learning an instrument helps in Math? [message #70875] Sat, 07 January 2012 09:21 Go to next message
NoWomanNoCry is currently offline  NoWomanNoCry
Chancellor
I was doing some research for a class and I came across this article: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1869 I thought it was interesting and made sense. Clearly not everyone who learns an instrument will excel in math but there's a clear correlation. It's definitely worth the read.
Re: Learning an instrument helps in Math? [message #70882 is a reply to message #70875] Sat, 07 January 2012 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GuitarStrings is currently offline  GuitarStrings
Baron
I've heard the same before but I personally think that it depends on the person. When you play music, you can see that the development of a song is divided into various segments and music notes themselves require different rhythm and timing- I'm sure that if you are excellent in understanding such things, you'd be good at math too.

In any case, I'm horrible at math but decent at the guitar!

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

Re: Learning an instrument helps in Math? [message #71093 is a reply to message #70875] Wed, 25 January 2012 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It makes sense to me. There's really a lot of math in music, so I can see how learning an instrument lays the groundwork for doing well in math.
Re: Learning an instrument helps in Math? [message #71148 is a reply to message #70875] Mon, 30 January 2012 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spinright is currently offline  spinright
Chancellor
My childhood friend is a genius, compared to me, at math. He also plays the piano almost flawless, the guitar, and drums. He has been in several bands and is very talented.
Re: Learning an instrument helps in Math? [message #71208 is a reply to message #70875] Fri, 03 February 2012 19:45 Go to previous message
Carson is currently offline  Carson
Chancellor
I can see how music and math can relate, but I also think it depends on the person. When you are really smart and have a high IQ, you also tend to be awesome in music or the like. As for me, I can play music, but I still count on my fingers!
Previous Topic: SOPA
Next Topic: Story With A Happy Ending
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:16:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout