Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Ceiling?
Re: Ceiling? [message #71443 is a reply to message #71439] Tue, 21 February 2012 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I'm guessing that the reason you don't have both in the same room would be a conflict over watching vs. listening?

I have one room for both, but since I'm retired, I can listen whenever. Of course, being retired means your so old that you're
hearing impaired ;-D

After reading the post about ceilings being unnatural to humans' hearing, I'm wondering if bonus rooms that all have a ceiling that conforms to a roof makes them like an echo chamber.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Ceiling? [message #71444 is a reply to message #71443] Tue, 21 February 2012 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I too am retired and there really are two reasons why both are not in the same room. I found that connecting the video to the stereo always either degraded the sound or caused interference. Second I like to listen at time the TV would be in use. Thus the need for two rooms. Nice thing about it is that no one bothers my stuff now and if I want to park a speaker in the middle of the room no one bothers it. I no longer get any of the "why did you do that" comments. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ceiling? [message #71449 is a reply to message #71444] Tue, 21 February 2012 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I understand completely. My wife, who normally doesn't bother my equipment, decided to watch a DVD and the receiver was set for CD.

I came in and she was poking buttons and turning knobs on the receiver. I'm afraid I went ballistic, saying don't ever fool with that receiver, you can change something that might take me an hour to figure out.

I was polite, but there are so many settings that can be changed by the bump of a button, that I can't remember what each does.

I guess if I had kids, I'd have to put a lock on the door.

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Ceiling? [message #72100 is a reply to message #70862] Wed, 11 April 2012 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I would put some type of treatment at first reflection point. Also, if I recall correctly, slow turning ceiling fans were used in studios to break up standing waves.....
Re: Ceiling? [message #72138 is a reply to message #72100] Fri, 13 April 2012 20:13 Go to previous message
Master
And I opted for no ceiling fan in the new house. I can probably change that without much trouble.

Previous Topic: Semi soundproof
Next Topic: Terrazzo Floors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:11:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout