Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Ceiling?
Ceiling? [message #70862] Fri, 06 January 2012 17:33 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do you acoustically treat your studio ceiling? If so, what do you do? If not, why not?

I never have. I'm satisfied with the sound quality without treating the ceiling.
Re: Ceiling? [message #70867 is a reply to message #70862] Fri, 06 January 2012 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The ceiling is probably the most important room boundary to treat. We're used to hearing sounds from all around us, so lateral reflections aren't unnatural. Same thing with the floor, every sound in nature is reflected from the ground. But reflections from the ceiling are always unwanted anomalies.

Then again, if you use a directional speaker, ceiling slap isn't nearly so much a problem as it is with a speaker having less pattern control.

Re: Ceiling? [message #70894 is a reply to message #70867] Sat, 07 January 2012 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I understand what you are saying but I don't notice any issue. I forget what pattern my speakers have; it could be they are directional and that's why it sounds ok.
Re: Ceiling? [message #70899 is a reply to message #70894] Sat, 07 January 2012 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, In both my former and present room, I used acoustic absorbent treatments. I agree with Wayne on this. Even though I like the sound stage full of reflections I get from my ESLs, I find reflections off the ceiling distracting. I also do the floors and the distant end of the room.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ceiling? [message #70902 is a reply to message #70894] Sat, 07 January 2012 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

audioaudio90 wrote on Sat, 07 January 2012 18:48
I understand what you are saying but I don't notice any issue. I forget what pattern my speakers have; it could be they are directional and that's why it sounds ok.

You're probably used to it. Most of us get used to whatever surroundings we're in very quickly, and that's what sounds natural to us.

I've had some untreated rooms that weren't too bad, and others that were just terrible. In the USA, we have framed drywall construction which absorbs a little bit of energy in the upper bass, so that helps some in the modal region. Carpeting and furniture often helps damp the midrange and treble. So those things help. But none of them does anything to help mitigate ceiling slap.

Clap your hands in the room, one sharp clap. This is a great seat-of-the-pants check. If you just hear yourself with no ringing echo, then you're lucky. Sometimes, this is the case. But often times, you'll hear a ringing sound that is sort of like tinitis. I find it most troublesome in rooms with vaulted ceilings. Rooms with ceilings that are angled slightly but symmetrically tend to focus high frequency reflections down, right at you, almost like a parabolic reflector. That's probably the worst case.

Re: Ceiling? [message #71015 is a reply to message #70902] Tue, 17 January 2012 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I thought the ringing sound was a symptom of parallel walls (flutter echo), so I treated the walls and it went away.

Your post reminded me of the one time I was in a room with all hard surfaces and a domed ceiling. Ick, that was bad.
Re: Ceiling? [message #71435 is a reply to message #70899] Mon, 20 February 2012 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
gofar99 wrote on Sat, 07 January 2012 19:35
Hi, In both my former and present room, I used acoustic absorbent treatments. I agree with Wayne on this. Even though I like the sound stage full of reflections I get from my ESLs, I find reflections off the ceiling distracting. I also do the floors and the distant end of the room.

Are you talking about ceiling tiles that are sound absorbent. Like the white tiles with holes that you see in commercial buildings?

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Ceiling? [message #71437 is a reply to message #71435] Mon, 20 February 2012 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes, also the space above the tiles had 2X8 rafters that were used to hold 8 inch bats of insulation. A double layer roof covered with heavy roll roofing. All the walls were double wall on the outside, stuffed with insulation and paneled on the inside. A Raised floor, also double layer on 2X8 beams on 12 inch centers with supports every 24 inches then covered with thick pad and carpet. It gave a reflective side walls and front wall with absorbing floor, ceiling (was sloped BTW to cut down on standing waves) and rear wall. It all was great until my spouse decided it was a great media room (yes there was a 55 inch flat screen with its own separate audio system). To keep the peace, I took over the living room. A mixed bag and it needed lots of TLC to get the sound right.

Good Listening
Bruce
icon7.gif  Re: Ceiling? [message #71438 is a reply to message #71437] Mon, 20 February 2012 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
gofar99 wrote on Mon, 20 February 2012 19:33
Hi, Yes, also the space above the tiles had 2X8 rafters that were used to hold 8 inch bats of insulation. A double layer roof covered with heavy roll roofing. All the walls were double wall on the outside, stuffed with insulation and paneled on the inside. A Raised floor, also double layer on 2X8 beams on 12 inch centers with supports every 24 inches then covered with thick pad and carpet. It gave a reflective side walls and front wall with absorbing floor, ceiling (was sloped BTW to cut down on standing waves) and rear wall. It all was great until my spouse decided it was a great media room (yes there was a 55 inch flat screen with its own separate audio system). To keep the peace, I took over the living room. A mixed bag and it needed lots of TLC to get the sound right.

Wow, that seems like a lot of work! I see who rules the house--same as mine!

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Ceiling? [message #71439 is a reply to message #71438] Tue, 21 February 2012 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, True Rolling Eyes , but I admit to watching video in the room as well. It was a nice man-cave while it lasted, now just a very comfy video center.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Semi soundproof
Next Topic: Terrazzo Floors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:20:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers