Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Does this actually work for soundproofing floors?
Does this actually work for soundproofing floors? [message #70645] Tue, 27 December 2011 11:05 Go to next message
NoWomanNoCry is currently offline  NoWomanNoCry
Chancellor
I own a three family home and the neighbors upstairs love loud music. I don't want to lose them as tenants because I really like them a lot, I just don't always want to listen to their music when I'm trying to listen to my own!

I'm trying to find a product that can soundproof the floor. I've been looking at something like this: http://www.soundproofingamerica.com/flooring.asp

Will this work? Is there a better product? What has worked for you?
Re: Does this actually work for soundproofing floors? [message #70770 is a reply to message #70645] Tue, 03 January 2012 14:36 Go to previous message
JohnEEADBL is currently offline  JohnEEADBL
Esquire
I haven't yet had the opportunity to try this, but, I suggest you research the following:

QuietTile

GreenGlue

Making a "sandwich" construction by adding a layer of QuietWood (a lead-sheet between two plies of plywood; please see QuietTile link above) or a similar mass-loaded wood-composite (i.e., mass-loaded vinyl between two sheets of plywood) on top of a layer of GreenGlue or QuietTile on top of the existing sub-floor (present upstairs floor stripped of carpet, linoleum, tile, etc.), or

You might also want to look at using QuietRock to add a layer of deadening material to the tenants walls. However, none of this stuff is cheap! Sad

I would have like to have tried some or all the above in a former apartment building in which I was eventually evicted for asserting my right to quiet enjoyment of the premises (which, legally, doesn't directly address "being quiet", but, that's another story for another forum) and for exposing the filing of approximately a dozen fraudulent affidavits which "embarrassed" the judge who eventually threw out one of the oldest case-law standards, Edwards v. Habib, in landlord/tenant law and "got even with me" by illegally evicting me. Such things happen.

The moral of that story for you is this: you may presently "like" your tenant. However, as landlord/owner, your right to quiet enjoyment of your premises out-weighs your tenant's desire--not right--to play loud music. Think of quiet enjoyment as your ability to do what you need to do including, but not limited to rest, relaxation, and recuperation (which include recreation, which includes listening to your music) without out undue hindrance from your tenant. He/she has an equal right to expect that of you, as his/her landlord.

In joint-living situations, being quiet should always prevail over making noise (it doesn't always--the first eviction attempt which I defeated came about as a result of the management refusing to enforce the terms of the 300 lb. bipolar, pot-smoking, medicine-non-taking tenant who made my life miserable stamping on the floor overhead at the slightest noise, my phone ringing, children laughing outside, birds cooing in the eaves, etc.). If you can't get the "three R's" (rest, . . .) that you need, eventually your "liking" your tenant will change. (I'm disabled. My physical health was much worse when I was constantly "battling" the noise made by the very ill bipolar upstairs tenant, and his "replacement" when he eventually had to leave.)

As the landlord, it's your responsibility to see that your tenant adheres to the terms of his/her lease, including keeping his/her music down low enough not to bother you! Smile However--having had several really bad landlords--I admire your apparent willingness to address the problem rather than just "dumping it on" your tenant and hope you'll keep us informed as to your progress! Very Happy

I hope that helps.

John

PS My apologies for all the edits if they've caused you to get several copies of this post by e-mail, several "new reply" notices, etc. JEL

Smile
Previous Topic: What do you think about this Pi speaker layout?
Next Topic: The acoustics in your car
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:16:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout