Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers
FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70552] Wed, 21 December 2011 16:41 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm sure by now everybody has seen the gone-viral video of the FEDEX guy delivering a customer's flat screen computer monitor by tossing it over their six foot fence - all caught in vividly clear HD on their security camera. I doubt FEDEX will be using this in their ads, although I'm sure the Republicans will blame Obama for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhmjJCBQ-cA

I got a taste of the same this weekend. My Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 drivers arrived Saturday, and when I opened the package to inspect them Sunday morning I noticed one driver's voice coil has been forced forward completely out of the gap. I wonder how many g's that takes? The good news is Madisound has good customer service and has offered to send a replacement driver.
Re: FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70553 is a reply to message #70552] Wed, 21 December 2011 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When I am appointed president of FEDEX I will rename it FREDEX, and any package marked "delicate audio equipment" will be carried on a goose down pillow.
Re: FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70555 is a reply to message #70553] Wed, 21 December 2011 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm switching to UPS

index.php?t=getfile&id=657&private=0
  • Attachment: UPS.jpg
    (Size: 16.38KB, Downloaded 8123 times)
Re: FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70556 is a reply to message #70553] Wed, 21 December 2011 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've had good luck with the major carriers, FedEx, UPS and even USPS. But I've had a few packages dropped like that too. Sometimes, the cardboard box isn't damaged but the product inside has taken an impact so severe it bends metal braces inside. I'm told this is because sometimes things fall off the conveyers that may be dozens of feet off the ground. If the box lands on a flat side, you won't see damage to the cardboard box, but the contents can be competely destroyed.

By the way, I like your delivery girl. Check mine out:

http://audioroundtable.com/images/Delivery.jpg
Re: FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70570 is a reply to message #70556] Thu, 22 December 2011 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My "deliveryperson" (politically correct term) is more service oriented than yours. She has a tag indicating which end is up for the ride.

The new FREDEX, under my leadership, will employ only women, because you don't have to pay them as much.

index.php?t=getfile&id=660&private=0
Re: FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70572 is a reply to message #70570] Thu, 22 December 2011 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Nice delivery persons. Very Happy I have had good luck with UPS and FED, but the post office has really caused some grief. We pack thing really well and they bent the metal chassis on three amps in the past year. You really have to bash something hard to crunch the corner on a welded steel chassis.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70573 is a reply to message #70552] Thu, 22 December 2011 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hear you. One time I had an amp get dropped so hard, the internal braces inside bent from the weight of the parts they supported. The cardboard box was intact, and the chassis of the amp looked fine. But inside, the guts had shifted as the braces bent from an impact. It was pretty evident that the box fell dozens of feet, but happened to land flat so the box wasn't damaged.

Re: FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70623 is a reply to message #70573] Sat, 24 December 2011 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Having been in the tube audio business for many years, I too have seen my share of massive blunders from the likes of FedEx, UPS, and USPS, with several production and custom amplifiers damaged in transit. However, two stand out as the most heartbreaking, largely in part because they were unrepairable and unreplaceable.

One was a pair of Heathkit W-4 monoblocks in fair condition, which were sent to me for restoration. The amps were packed well, with each being thickly wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in sturdy boxes, which were then placed in individual, heavy-duty outer boxes with several inches of foam peanuts between. Despite the stellar, double-boxed packing job, one amp's corner was smashed in and about a fourth of the chassis was deformed.

The other was a rare, factory-assembled Heathkit/Daystrom AA-151 that I'd bought from a friend in California. The amp was 100% original down to the power cord, with all the factory tubes, including the Mullard EL84 power tubes and GZ34 rectifier. All tubes tested 95% of new or better.

It was a true museum piece if I've ever seen one, in A+ mint condition, with not so much as a single scratch or scuff anywhere, and zero visible age deterioration. It looked as if it had been placed in a sealed container in 1962, and kept there until I bought it in 2004. I've yet to see another amp of anywhere near that vintage that was as perfect as that one, and it was very likely the most pristine AA-151 in existence. That is, until it crossed paths with the U.S. Postal Service.........

The shipping box was destroyed at the USPS hub in Dallas, so they placed the amp in another box with a note instructing me on how to file a damage claim. It didn't matter that they'd put no cushioning material in the box, because the amplifier was so damaged anyway. It looked like the fork of a lift truck had been ran through the box and into the amp.

Thermionic
Re: FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70626 is a reply to message #70623] Sat, 24 December 2011 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, my God, those are heartbreaking stories. I've had a few like that, but even though my damaged stuff was impossible to repair, at least my items were replaceable. Still seemed overwhelmingly bad at the time.

One that comes to mind were a pair of really dreamy Martinelli-made cabinets. They were stunning, but the freight company killed them. The grain was truly spectacular, and grains are all unique, so in a sense, it truly was irreplaceable. But I guess I can always repair my speakers just by having new cabinets made. Then again, one pair of cabinets that were damaged were made by Brad - my last cabinetmaker - who is now dead. So those can't be replaced.

I wonder if there are shippers that take better care, maybe for a little bit higher price. Seems like that service must be available. I mean, it isn't like the damage we're talking about is the result of catastrophic accidents like plane or truck wrecks, or from natural disaster or anything like that. These accidents are all the result of some form of mishandling. They're usually stuff being rammed and run through, items falling off conveyor belts that are excessively high, or other things like that. They're all the result of volume handling and could be easily avoided by a shipper with a more personal and careful approach.

Re: FEDEX Trying to Outdo United Parcel Smashers [message #70644 is a reply to message #70626] Tue, 27 December 2011 08:20 Go to previous message
wardsweb is currently offline  wardsweb
Baron
While much has been said and shown in the news about the actual handlers at various shippers, most damage occurs in the distribution terminals where automation is the culprit. Moving rails, rollers, sliders, kick arms, slides and shoots abuse your gear endlessly. So you have to pack your gear to be ready for battle. If you won't take your package and drop it from six feet, the odds are not in your favor.

Here is a link to custom packaging I did for shipping a McIntosh MC240. The more valuble in terms of money or personal attachment, the more bomb proof the packaging.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=367974

Here is a page I did for many different things I have shipped over the years. None of these sustained any damage in shipping. Note I didn't use the same technique for all these, just the principle of tight and secure. The item must not move. Remember any of your physics classes? A body in motion tends to remain in motion until acted upon by an equal or opposing force. That and g-force acceleration. Once it starts moving, it's weight multiplies.

http://wardsweb.org/packandship/

Packing peanuts suck. Gear shifts to one side or the bottom. It breaks down and the static electricity is killer. Also the foam has to be able to not only protect the outside of the gear, it must absorb shock to protect the inside too. So, housing insulation and any foam you can't compress it more like a board and not shock absorbtion.

Well this is a very quick and dirty oversight. Packaging is more science than most people know. That and equipment shippers are NOT home furniture movers.
Previous Topic: Angry birds
Next Topic: New Years Eve plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:16:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout