Home » Sponsored » OddWatt Audio » Integrated Preamplifier (Product)
Integrated Preamplifier [message #70548] Wed, 21 December 2011 12:43 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, After a bunch of soul searching I am working on an integrated preamplifier. It will be a sort of synthesis of the Forewatt Line Stage Preamp and the Groove phono preamp. All tubes. It will be offered in various configurations and most likely will be user upgradable between them. Two main variations are one with full remote control and one with manual controls only. I expect to have a prototype for listening at LSAF. The Forewatt will continue to be available separately as will the Groove (scheduled for release this summer). In another area a retro variation of the Oddblocks is nearing release (all octal tubes. BTW my reference set are all octal.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Integrated Preamplifier [message #70550 is a reply to message #70548] Wed, 21 December 2011 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, man, Bruce. That sounds good! I'm interested in this one very much. Please keep us posted with your project. I'd love to see a mock up, or if your prototypes looks like finished products, even better to see the proto. This one just sounds very appealing to me.

I have a Cary preamp that I'm itching to swap out and replace with yours.

Any plans to do an integreated amp? One like that but maybe with outputs for speakers? Or is it better to keep the preamp and the outputs separate, maybe for power supply, heat or space reasons?

Re: Integrated Preamplifier [message #70560 is a reply to message #70550] Wed, 21 December 2011 19:56 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, An integrated stereo preamp-amp would weigh in at around 100 pounds. It would need wheels. I can envision a low power one with say EL84s or perhaps EL34s though. The prototype is using a remote control assembly other than yours initially as it makes the build a lot easier and there are fewer interface issues. That can can change as really once the design is in place any type of control can be used. I do have a working prototype of a passive remote with your chip set. Not quite perfect as I still have not found a display I like. Right now it is using a 3.5 digit 2volt digital panel meter. I feed it from one of the extra digipots that in turn is fed a 1.0 volt reference. That way I get readings for volume level in % from 0 to 100. Not real elegant but sufficient for testing purposes. The display is rather stable, but once in a while it will flip in the final digit if the actual level is in between the two.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Valve Phono Preamp
Next Topic: Reviews?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 23:20:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers