Home » Audio » Radio » It's like beating a dead horse - radio today
It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #70457] Thu, 15 December 2011 18:42 Go to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
I'm not kidding - today on the only radio station I can pick up at work - 105.3 Rockin Country - they only played Christmas music. I heard a Taylor Swift Christmas song and she butchered it. I had to turn off the radio and pull out the CDs.
Re: It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #70463 is a reply to message #70457] Thu, 15 December 2011 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, So true. From here I can get around 40 FM stations and really none are worth a hoot. I no longer even have a tuner hooked up to my main stereo sad. Sad I haven't listened to any AM here for years. I gave up on XM about 6 months ago when the raised the price again.

Pandora is reasonable, but unless you pay the service has some really bothersome commercials.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #70726 is a reply to message #70457] Sun, 01 January 2012 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GuitarStrings is currently offline  GuitarStrings
Baron
I suppose it depends on the station. I have to admit that when stations started playing nothing but Christmas music after OCTOBER, it was terribly annoying. Some stations are still good - try the college stations. Normally they play music that isn't mainstream, which is a plus in my book. I also enjoy online radio. I always hear something I haven't heard before.

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

Re: It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #70766 is a reply to message #70457] Tue, 03 January 2012 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NoWomanNoCry is currently offline  NoWomanNoCry
Chancellor
I wish the problem was just the Christmas music. It's all of the music these days. Everyone looks the same. Everyone sounds the same. It's just boring.
Re: It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #70782 is a reply to message #70457] Tue, 03 January 2012 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thank God! It's over... Christmas music is Over. I did not think I would make it through the season. Most times the stations here play different songs all day long.
Re: It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #70792 is a reply to message #70726] Wed, 04 January 2012 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree with GuitarStrings. College radio stations are often pretty decent compared to the mainstream ones. If there are any near you, LoveJB, you should check them out.
Re: It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #70808 is a reply to message #70457] Wed, 04 January 2012 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
When I worked in the other direction of my house there were all kinds of great radio stations. I never thought about it being a College town! Now I switched jobs and there are no colleges near my new workplace. I guess I never put the 2 together!
Re: It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #70814 is a reply to message #70457] Wed, 04 January 2012 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GuitarStrings is currently offline  GuitarStrings
Baron
I'm not sure why college radios tend to have more music variety - but it's probably because they want to be more unique and thus get a wider audience. The one near my house plays all sorts of genres, but normally focuses on Folk and Indie music, or songs by popular bands that aren't given any attention. It's great to learn about different bands that way.

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

Re: It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #71117 is a reply to message #70457] Sat, 28 January 2012 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lostinstereo is currently offline  lostinstereo
Chancellor
KROQ has failed me many times. The band could have 2 new albums out and they'll still only play the one popular song released in the 90's, but they'll overplay the new songs of new bands.
Re: It's like beating a dead horse - radio today [message #71210 is a reply to message #70457] Fri, 03 February 2012 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Miranda Starr is currently offline  Miranda Starr
Chancellor
I'll have to look into college radio stations, I never thought about trying that. I used to listen to hip hop music on the radio sometimes, and until a few years ago I thought they played some decent music. When I turn on a station now though, it seems like almost every song has Lil Wayne or Drake in it. I actually like a few songs by these artists, but the lack of variety is so extreme that it gets pretty irritating.

Previous Topic: What radio do you recommend??
Next Topic: The radio stations on airplanes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:38:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout