Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » I guess I kinda messed up!
I guess I kinda messed up! [message #70447] Tue, 13 December 2011 12:57 Go to next message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
Wayne and all,

After building and rebuilding and building again my crossovers first used in the Theater 4s and now up-dated for the new 4 Pis I just went in and thought I'd up-grade a few components for Christmas and discovered that I have been listening to a 20uF cap for C4 in the woofer circuit instead of the 10uF as specified. Funny, but the sound was OK- nothing too amiss. Was the low freq. cut-off too low and therefore there was a notch in the response and hense not that noticable? I immediately swapped in the 10uFs and heard a possible improvement in bass definition but I'm not sure since the system has been jostled around a bit to make room for the Christmas tree and the sound is different anyway as a result. What would you expect the effect of using twice the capacitance in the c4 position as I had done?

Thanks and happy holidays; merry Christmas to all,

Garland
Re: I guess I kinda messed up! [message #70448 is a reply to message #70447] Tue, 13 December 2011 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That change actually does something very subtle and can be considered "perfectionist mode". It shifts the forward lobe upwards about 5°. The crossover point doesn't change, and response - at the center of the lobe - doesn't change either. But it does shift the position of the forward lobe in the crossover region, and as a consequence, this also shifts the vertical nulls.

With a 20uF capacitor C4, the nulls are about +15° and -25°, meaning the top null is about 15° above the baffle normal (straight forward) and the bottom null is about 25° below the baffle normal. With a 10uF capacitor C4, the forward lobe is nicely centered, with vertical nulls at +/-20°. It's not a huge change, but it does make enough a difference I thought it was worth doing. You'll hear the difference if you're standing up, listening fairly high above the centerline.

Re: I guess I kinda messed up! [message #70452 is a reply to message #70448] Wed, 14 December 2011 12:19 Go to previous message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
Thanks for the info, Wayne. I really enjoyed listening last night; the family was away for a while so I could really crank it up and play some real ROCK! Green Day's American Idiot, The Yes Album, The Eagles all sounded hugely dynamic at levels at which I'm glad I don't get to listen very much. We do need to save our hearing esp. at my age edging up into the 60's!

Soon I'll rig up my old Theater 4 boxes with Omega pro 15s as subs. That should be interesting!

Thanks again!

Garland
Previous Topic: 4 Pi plans
Next Topic: 4pi speaker plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 01:38:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers