Home » Audio » Speaker » Waterproof speakers
Waterproof speakers [message #70394] Mon, 05 December 2011 20:49 Go to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
While I don't think the acoustics are great in the bathroom, I'm still curious if anyone's tried putting a speaker in their shower. It might be nice to listen to a podcast or something in there. Has anyone ever tested out a waterproof speaker?
Re: Waterproof speakers [message #70579 is a reply to message #70394] Thu, 22 December 2011 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Forget about putting speakers in a shower. Just a couple 8" 2-ways hung from the ceiling with a 40 w/pc amp. You just have to watch for shower door rattle. The big plus is it'll sound 100% better fidelity wise, than any little shower speaker. Been there done that.
Re: Waterproof speakers [message #70669 is a reply to message #70394] Thu, 29 December 2011 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Musicfan is currently offline  Musicfan
Chancellor
Awesome tip! I was thinking of installing one in the bathroom. My daughter listens to her iPod in there and I'm afraid it will fall in and get ruined. My hubby started talking about a ceiling speaker for the shower. I'll tell him no way after reading this.
Re: Waterproof speakers [message #70673 is a reply to message #70669] Thu, 29 December 2011 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
I will try doing this as I can barely hear the music from the living room when I'm inside the bathroom. I normally make the sound louder for me to hear the music while inside the bathroom.
Re: Waterproof speakers [message #70676 is a reply to message #70673] Thu, 29 December 2011 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I had a waterproof speaker once, made to be used in the shower. I would only listen to morning radio while getting ready, so it saw real light duty. But even with that, I realized pretty quickly that these are just water resistant - not waterproof - and will die a wet death in short order. Even a plastic enclosure containing a driver with a polypropylene cone isn't happy in the humidity of a shower.

So I'm with Bill on this one. Forget the waterproof speakers, and leave the radio dry, on the shelf. Just turn it up a little bit more.

Re: Waterproof speakers [message #70730 is a reply to message #70394] Mon, 02 January 2012 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GuitarStrings is currently offline  GuitarStrings
Baron
I don't know about anyone else, but I take LONG showers. So long that the mirror and the walls are soaked with humidity. Even if you just left a radio on the shelf farthest away from the shower, wouldn't it still get wet?

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

Re: Waterproof speakers [message #70731 is a reply to message #70730] Mon, 02 January 2012 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Leave it on the shelf outside the shower.

Re: Waterproof speakers [message #71035 is a reply to message #70676] Wed, 18 January 2012 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Socal_7 is currently offline  Socal_7
Esquire
I wanted to see about getting outdoor speakers so that I could plug my iPod into. Doesn't have to be too big or high quality, but something decent. Any ideas (links would be appreciated). Obviously it would need to be weather proof.

Anyone have experience with outdoor speakers in their yard? Any problems?
Re: Waterproof speakers [message #71467 is a reply to message #70676] Wed, 22 February 2012 18:24 Go to previous message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 29 December 2011 22:16

I had a waterproof speaker once, made to be used in the shower. I would only listen to morning radio while getting ready, so it saw real light duty. But even with that, I realized pretty quickly that these are just water resistant - not waterproof - and will die a wet death in short order. Even a plastic enclosure containing a driver with a polypropylene cone isn't happy in the humidity of a shower.

So I'm with Bill on this one. Forget the waterproof speakers, and leave the radio dry, on the shelf. Just turn it up a little bit more.

I was afraid that these speakers were really only water resistant. It seemed that actually making them waterproof would be too good to be true.

I'll stick with the advice from you and Bill, and leave everything outside.
Previous Topic: Best 5.1 Speaker system for PC
Next Topic: New Full Range Single Driver Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:22:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout