Home » Audio » Source » Discovery about anti-skating and TT clamps (Hint)
Discovery about anti-skating and TT clamps [message #70112] Sun, 13 November 2011 19:27 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi everyone, Over the past few months I have noticed what seemed to be a problem with the anti-skating on my Dual 701 turntable. One cartridge in particular seemed to "want" a huge amount for tracking in the last tracks of some LPs. Rolling Eyes I discovered the cause today. The Dual platter has circular ridges for the various sizes of records. This is so the outside edges are well supported. If you place a flimsy LP on the platter and use a record clamp or weight it will depress the LP nearly 1/32 to 1/16 inch at the middle. Confused This translates into a highly non-level situation for the cartridge. It will seem to need a lot more AS than it should. With new 180-200 gram LPs this does not happen thus the inconsistency. My fix was to place a large diameter (about 2.5 inches) flat rubber gasket in the center of the platter. This is just thick enough to be sure that it won't interfere with the support on the edge, but still allow the weight to do its thing. Now the AS works just fine.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Discovery about anti-skating and TT clamps [message #70116 is a reply to message #70112] Sun, 13 November 2011 23:23 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, Bruce, excellent observation! Thanks for posting it!

Previous Topic: Suggestions for Pressing CDs
Next Topic: Cleaning CDs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:33:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout