Home » Audio » General » CD won't play!
CD won't play! [message #69942] Tue, 01 November 2011 07:33 Go to next message
Kripes is currently offline  Kripes
Chancellor
I burned a CD several years ago and play it regularly in the CD player in my car but when I brought it indoors to let someone listen to it, it wouldn't play on my Windows Media player! I wonder why not?
Re: CD won't play! [message #69953 is a reply to message #69942] Tue, 01 November 2011 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, an all too frequent problem. Crying or Very Sad The lasers used to burn disks both cd and especially dvd now are are not all created equal and likewise the players are not all identical in how they read them. You would think they ought to be, but not so. Manufacturers of players now routinely put a disclaimer about playing burnt disks. I just replaced a dvd player because it didn't like the disks my pc would make. A second issue sometimes occurs in which the brand of disk can be the problem, true it burned, but the pits are not distinct enough for the player to read. In any case the only real solutions are find a home unit that will play them, or burn a new copy on some other machine.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: CD won't play! [message #69964 is a reply to message #69953] Wed, 02 November 2011 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
That's interesting Bruce, I had no idea that the problem was that complicated. I always thought that the main cause was the brand of the disk, since I've had consistent problems with certain brands. I didn't realize the lasers and players had so much variation.
Re: CD won't play! [message #69974 is a reply to message #69964] Wed, 02 November 2011 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, the quality of the disk can be an issue as well. I use good disks for recording. Of note is that there does seem to be a slight difference in disks listed as audio (for music ) and general data disks. I have never found a good answer as to what the difference is. When I use audio disks for music I never have problems, when I use data ones there is an occasional hiccup. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: CD won't play! [message #69979 is a reply to message #69942] Wed, 02 November 2011 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
Wow, interesting. I always thought that I had just bought the wrong type of disc too. I did not know that discs, lasers and players were so technical. It's good to know now.
Re: CD won't play! [message #70037 is a reply to message #69942] Sun, 06 November 2011 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hussy8026 is currently offline  Hussy8026
Esquire
I think you should check your cd ROM in your Pc/other device(like cd player) Because you told it is able to play on your car.
And I want to mention one more thing that sometimes it happen by the week or old cd ROM.
vocal coach london

Mike Hussy
Re: CD won't play! [message #70159 is a reply to message #69942] Tue, 15 November 2011 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DJ Dave is currently offline  DJ Dave
Viscount
Maybe it's warped. They may have left it in their car and it melted. But, then, again, you would probably see that. Does it spin in the CD player at all?
Re: CD won't play! [message #70661 is a reply to message #69942] Thu, 29 December 2011 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mixinlady
Baron
There are a number of things that can cause this problem. The age of the disc and difference between the devices used to play it are the top contenders for causing problems. Also, you said you kept it in your car, which is harder on the disc than just sitting on a shelf.
Re: CD won't play! [message #70961 is a reply to message #69942] Thu, 12 January 2012 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drury is currently offline  Drury
Baron
I have several burned discs that won't play on a CD player but are ok on the computer. It's annoying but interesting to read more about why this happens. I may just switch to using the PC for music all the time as the player is unreliable with store bought CDs too.
Re: CD won't play! [message #70964 is a reply to message #70961] Thu, 12 January 2012 10:12 Go to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, I've run into this issue as well, although not as much in recent years. It can be very irritating to burn a CD on my computer but not be able to use it anywhere else.

Storing CDs in the car definitely doesn't help with their longevity though.
Previous Topic: MP3 and MP4
Next Topic: Dedicated Line Voltage Drop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 22:58:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout