Home » Audio » Source » Informal Phono Preamp Comparison (Phono Preamp Comparison)
Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #69916] Fri, 28 October 2011 17:53 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, It's the mad (or demented) audio guy with some ramblings about phono preamps. Smile I was sort of prodded into to comparing a kit phono preamp to one I already had. Being the curious person I am, I decided to compare all six of the ones I had easy access to. A bad move in some ways as it was a lot of work and it is difficult to be objective when one is my own design. I call that the proud papa syndrome. Rolling Eyes Anyhow I did it and the results are attached. Some interesting results and conclusions.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #69918 is a reply to message #69916] Fri, 28 October 2011 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very interesting write-up, Bruce. Thanks!

The only thing is I wish you had one or two other tube phono stages, like the Pro-Ject or Bellari.

I do realize thought this is what you had on hand. Can't wait to hear your new phono stage! I really need to spend some time with one of your amps too.

Re: Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #69920 is a reply to message #69918] Fri, 28 October 2011 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, I wish I would have had a few other tube preamps around as well. As it was, I didn't use the really good phono sections of the two SS Marantz's I have or the Kenwood, Pioneer or the two pro preamps. I will have the amps and preamps at LSAF.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #69941 is a reply to message #69920] Tue, 01 November 2011 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is a great review! Unlike the reviews I read in the audio magazines, this would actually be useful if I were in the market for a reasonably priced phono preamp. I hate to be so cynical, but a review that actually provides useful information. What a novel idea!
Re: Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #69943 is a reply to message #69941] Tue, 01 November 2011 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Is the Groove a different product from the PhonoWatt?
Re: Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #69952 is a reply to message #69943] Tue, 01 November 2011 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Fred, Thanks for the kind words. Smile The preamps are the same. Just that from the time it first was cooked up, until it was perfected I asked for ideas on the name. Shane came up with the present one and I owe him an XL Oddwatt "T" shirt when we can get some made up.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #89316 is a reply to message #69952] Sat, 08 December 2018 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

In the first post of this thread, there is a review linked that mentions the Audio Groove phono stage.

Bruce - Is that product still available? Is it available in kit form? If not available, do you have another tube phono stage in your product line?

I ask because all the discussions lately remind me that you've had a lot of experience with both tubes and vinyl and I'd like to know what Santa can pick up in your shop. Cool
Re: Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #89322 is a reply to message #89316] Sun, 09 December 2018 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, Unfortunately it is not yet available. We have been unable to secure a suitable chassis manufacturer. All that have reasonable prices want lots of over 100 per type. That puts it out of our range. Companies that will do 10-25 want almost $200 for each chassis. At that price we will end up costing as much as the stuff we want to beat. Our goal was and is to make high quality audio available at reasonable prices. The "improved" economy has hurt our ability to do that. Worse it is impacting existing products. Yes we could outsource to Asia, but we like being as much USA as we can. Since I figure you are good with a soldering iron....you can always DIY one. The project on the diyaudioprojects site and a similar one I have in Audio Express can lead to a great build. Not a novice project, but I figure you would have no trouble.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #89327 is a reply to message #89322] Sun, 09 December 2018 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Forgive me if we've discussed this before, but I think you can probably find a Metcase cabinet that would work for you. They have a lot of standard enclosures with removable panels, and you can send the front, rear and top panels to a shop to be punched and silk screened.
Re: Informal Phono Preamp Comparison [message #89340 is a reply to message #89327] Mon, 10 December 2018 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, getting a standard chassis is no problem, it is the punching and silk screening that causes the difficulty. If you know of a source it could be helpful. We have the specs in various formats. Some of the chassis have welded posts, tabs and captive nuts, but we could change that if it was a deal breaker.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Audio Technica AT20SL versus AT20SLa
Next Topic: Does vinyl sound better?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:39:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers