Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Dressing up DIY projects
Dressing up DIY projects [message #9313] Sat, 05 November 2005 13:14 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Ran across this site. I asked around and seems to be a very reputable business. I plan on ordering some WBT-type jacks and some of these cool tube sockets surrounds (to cover up my inability to use a drill press correctly.)

Re: Dressing up DIY projects [message #9314 is a reply to message #9313] Sat, 05 November 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nice!

I love the looks of brushed aluminum and orther polished metals. Looks great with tubes glowing.

Re: Dressing up DIY projects [message #9315 is a reply to message #9313] Sun, 06 November 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That is ont of the coolest looking bits. Too bad it won't work for the old Cinch and Amphenol stuff I salvage from Tek 'scopes...:(

I usually have other issues with a build besides the sockets and hole drilling. Pro looking chassis stuff is expensive in 1-of quantity. Hell, it's expensive period compared to the rest of the budget.

I am still trying to figure a what to do the new Merlin build. They are not going to be light. Filament Iron, HV power...Fortunately those outputs aren't any bigger than they have to be.

Maybe I should stick to phono stages instead...?
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Dressing up DIY projects [message #9316 is a reply to message #9315] Sun, 06 November 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just thought about it ("Merlin")- probably, to make it "acceptable" to the "average" DIY-er, PCB plan for SS components is a "must"...

Re: Dressing up DIY projects [message #9317 is a reply to message #9316] Sun, 06 November 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep.

Re: It's a steal! [message #9318 is a reply to message #9313] Mon, 07 November 2005 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What's the catch?

Re: It's a steal! [message #9319 is a reply to message #9318] Mon, 07 November 2005 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The vendor is in Hong Kong. Shipping will run about $20 for what I need. Do you see something you'd like? Tell me and I'll get it. You can pay me back later......Later, Colin

I agree... [message #9320 is a reply to message #9317] Tue, 08 November 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
but it makes it hard to build in my shop....:)

The Linestage with its very similar SE version of the Merlin front end almost got put on a single board. I didn't so I would not have to disconnnect the small .3 mA CCS I robbed from another pair of amps.

Either way, with a pair of heatsinks, ir should be done with a few square inches. I will work on this. One of the guys who bought a pair of the OPTx's is good with PCB software.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: I agree... [message #9321 is a reply to message #9320] Tue, 08 November 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The thing about the prebuilt Douglas is then there is a standard that makes it easier to troubleshoot and to adjust the bias. Instead of everyone having their own wiring scheme.
Easier for you to know what people mean if they have to describe a problem that might be in the wireing.
Thanks as always.

Re: I agree... [message #9323 is a reply to message #9321] Tue, 08 November 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
there are a whole bunch of things that would get done iff I were on a money making enterprise. Or even if I were looking to spead the technology as quickly as is possible.

A few notes:
generating PCB's takes funding. I don't expect to put it up, or demand that somebody else does in order to partake of the design. It leaves a bit of chicken-egg sort of issue: the amp can't be built easily w/o it, as it looks daunting. And one can't say how good it sounds w/o building it.

The plan might look like this:
gather up the Iron and PCB's to build Merlin in stereo pair/mono-block quantity. Offer it for sale in a 0-profit price point.

This would still run afoul of the marketing prohibitions of the ART forums. It would also require investment to gather the Iron, and that runs afoul of my low funding availablity for such a project.

Solutions?
design a PCB pattern for those who would self-etch at home? or provide the pattern to their etching company. Not so bad an idea actually. Spec the parts, and leave a bit of drilling to the builders. heatsinks, and the 20-30k plate loads would dictate the hole spacing.

I do hate to specify all the details. Takes the freedom to experiment and learn right out of the project. It laso makes the whole project a whole lot more 'do-able' for the less experienced population, yes?

The PCB also leaves things like surface-mount parts a whole lot easier to deal with. Gate stoppers are far better done with SMT bits. Heard much good stuff about some of the thick-film, small SMT bits too.

I won't doo it all, but the projects folder would certainly benefit from a PCB artwork file for the cascode front end circuitry required to build Merlin as drawn...
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: just in case you think 'going too far' is possible...
Next Topic: Ned Carlson's new job!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:35:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout