Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Helper Woofer Location
Re: Helper Woofer Location [message #77059 is a reply to message #77058] Sat, 22 June 2013 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dheflin44 is currently offline  dheflin44
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 22 June 2013 11:55

Try that and see how it sounds. You can always try the other way too, with mains outboard, but I think it will probably sound better with them inboard. But again, if you can do constant directivity cornerhorns, those are even better still.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to try it with yet. In fact I just sent you a PM for more parts. I'm just doing some planning and looking ahead.

I can't pull the 4PIs inboard at all without blocking the screen. I just wanted to see how big a deal it is to have the mains outbound, and also if they could be right in the corner (if needed they can come out into the room away from the front wall).

I have thought about the 7PIs, but at their normal distance from the corners they would also get in front of the screen. If I remove the doghouse in the back, how much closer to the corner can the 7PIs get without significantly affecting the sound?

-Darrell
Re: Helper Woofer Location [message #77060 is a reply to message #77059] Sun, 23 June 2013 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

As with all things, you can only make generalizations without testing. I found that doghouse shape empirically when I developed the first constant directivity cornerhorns. I also tested various compression ratios. The end result is the constant directivity cornerhorn as it exists today.

Re: Helper Woofer Location [message #77061 is a reply to message #69872] Sun, 23 June 2013 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dheflin44 is currently offline  dheflin44
Baron
Here's a sketch of the room and what I was planning initially.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1200&private=0

Since the screen is 34" from the floor, I could make the 4PI stands only 6" high so they could slide under the screen. Do you think lowering the 4PIs would be a better compromise?

Thanks,
Darrell
Re: Helper Woofer Location [message #77062 is a reply to message #77061] Sun, 23 June 2013 16:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's hard to say if that will be too low or not. It always seems to me the most realistic impression is created when the speakers are generally the same height as the screen.

Sometimes, if the screen is a little above the listeners, the speakers don't need to be quite as high, but I don't like it when the sound comes from too close to the ground. It's not a problem for hifi, but for home theater, when trying to give the impression that the sound is coming from the images projected on the screen, they can't be too far apart.

Can you maybe set some speakers on makeshift stands (books, milk crates, etc.) and give it a try to see if the realism seems right?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd put cornerhorns in that room. I'd do whatever other compromises I needed to do to make that happen. I don't know of any other configuration that does what constant directivity cornerhorns do. You can come close with matched-dierctivity two-ways and flanking subs, but the clarity and imaging of midrange of constant directivity cornerhorns is stunning, and just can't be matched. Flanking subs mitigate a problem, but constant directivity cornerhorns completely eliminate that problem.

So I'd shrink the screen to fit the sound system. That's just me.

Previous Topic: 4 Pi Baffle Information
Next Topic: SevenPi Room Layout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:56:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout