Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Changing the room...
Changing the room... [message #69661] Sun, 02 October 2011 00:42 Go to next message
Peppennino2 is currently offline  Peppennino2
Esquire
Hi all,
I'm moving from my actual home to a smaller country house and I cannot place my LOVED Theater Four in the music room. As I will probably sell them, I'd like to build a smaller pair of speakers, as the room is 4X4, 8 meters (3m hign) and is half-divided with the kitchen that has the same size, and I'd like to remain in the domain of hi-sensitivity/hi-dynamic... As power amplifiers I have a 300B SET (that probably I will sell too) and a D-Class amp based on Tripath 3020. The room will also share the place with a small home theatre system based on Optoma HD20 projector and cheap AVR/5.1 speaker system (I think I will share the main speakers with the stereo set). Any advice for a pair of speakers that would be match the room?

The rest of the setup is:
- Technics SL1210 MKII with Ortofon/Kabusa Concorde 20 (maybe I'll change the cartidge with 2M Blue)
- Elliot Sound P06 DIY phono preamplifier
- DIY line preamplifier based on OPA627
- Xtreamer Sidewinder
- DAC based on BB PCM1793
- Modified Cambridge Audio CD-6

Thank you in advance,
Vincenzo (Italy)
Re: Changing the room... [message #69662 is a reply to message #69661] Sun, 02 October 2011 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those Theater fours are huge. But what about the current model four π speakers? They are the same as what used to be called the "Professional Series", much smaller than the Theater Series. This would allow you to use many of the same parts, e.g. tweeter driver, horn and many crossover components.

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2009/Photos/PiSpeakers_10.jpg
Re: Changing the room... [message #69670 is a reply to message #69662] Sun, 02 October 2011 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the advice, Wayne, but I think that Pi4 are too big for the room. A pair of Studio 2 would be a too high downgrade from Theater 4?
Re: Changing the room... [message #69671 is a reply to message #69670] Sun, 02 October 2011 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, the little two π speakers sound great to me. I use 'em for surrounds in my main system, and have the tower version as my bedroom system, which gets a lot of use too. So I really like them. But it's not really a fair comparison with four π's.

The price is low enough, I suggest trying them and see. They have simmilar sonic character, so I think you'll like them. Just don't expect them to keep up with their bigger brothers. Then again, in a small room, you don't need the oomph of the larger speakers anyway.

Re: Changing the room... [message #69672 is a reply to message #69671] Sun, 02 October 2011 14:40 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks!
Previous Topic: Alpha or Delta 10?
Next Topic: How I spent my weekend...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 11:45:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio