Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Alpha or Delta 10?
Alpha or Delta 10? [message #69658] Sat, 01 October 2011 22:03 Go to next message
sippy is currently offline  sippy
Esquire
Just a simple question......... or two.......
ive looked at the Pi6 crossover and it says:

9. L2 is 1.0mH for Delta 10, jumpered for Alpha 10 or JBL2012

I ordered the drive units for the Pi8 before i heard the 6's and was unfortunatly away at the time of delivery. My new neighbours decided to be neighbourly cos i was out of the area working, took delivery and proceded to forget to tell me about it.
So, being past the return time, ive got alpha 10's for midrange - is there much of a disadvantage to useing these?
Also, can the inner baffle for the bass section made removable for adjusting stuffing ect?
After getting quotes from a local boat building suplyers for best marine grade plywood (ouch, give yer arms, legs and children or soul in payment), ive decided to go with 25mm MDF for the bass enclosure and 18mm for the mid-horns. Ive considered makeing the mid enclosure tall enough to enclose the treble horn/driver, ie just extend the sides a few inches either side of the horns cut out then angle back to make a pentogram top enclosure.
Is this a bad idea, ie would it affect the horns dispersion?
Re: Alpha or Delta 10? [message #69659 is a reply to message #69658] Sat, 01 October 2011 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Delta 10 is a little better if you are driving the speakers hard. If you're running tube amps, keeping power under 50 watts or so, it's pretty much six one way and half dozen the other.

On the tweeter, if you're saying you want to put it in a little mini-enclosure, perhaps attached to the midhorn cabinet, that's fine. Many people do that.

Re: Alpha or Delta 10? [message #69664 is a reply to message #69658] Sun, 02 October 2011 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sippy is currently offline  sippy
Esquire
Well, I'm currently enamoured with a mint condition Cryus 2 + PSX, but despite being quite handy with a soldering iron, I've always found valve amps a bit scarey re voltages and amps - I'm leaning towards building a Pass DIY F5 or a battery powered Gainclone with maybe an Oatley Electronics JAN 6418 pre kit set up as a buffer.
The F5 scores because theres been plenty built, pcb's and matched active device kits are easily sourced.
Battery Gainclone/6418 buffer fits in with a modified Playstation 1002 project - ive already got a late PS running from batteries, sounds worlds better than the stock surply but not quite as good as the stock early model.
My usual front ends are a Marantz CD63KIS or PC-soundcard-flac.
Current speekers are 92db/w/m floorstanders and the Cyrus never gets run above half power - the neighbours need to be able to listen to their music.
your thoughts would be most welcome
Re: Alpha or Delta 10? [message #69665 is a reply to message #69664] Sun, 02 October 2011 02:02 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The constant directivity cornerhorn provides a much better pattern, better imaging and is almost 10dB more sensitive too. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, whichever midrange driver you choose. You won't be pushing them hard at all, so they'll barely be breaking a sweat.

Previous Topic: 4 Pi and 3 Pi Subwoofer
Next Topic: Changing the room...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 20:48:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout