Home » Audio » Speaker » Charge Coupled Crossover Capacitors
Charge Coupled Crossover Capacitors [message #69625] Tue, 27 September 2011 09:25 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Anybody ever tried this? It seems easy enough to do, and not expensive unless you're using boutique brand caps: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0911/charge_coupled_crossovers.htm
Re: Charge Coupled Crossover Capacitors [message #69627 is a reply to message #69625] Tue, 27 September 2011 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I used to do that (like in the 1980s), but have stopped. It's pretty important with electrolytic capacitors, even the non-polarized types.

Capacitors have really gotten so much better in the past couple decades, especially the ones we use in passive crossovers. Polypropylene dielectric caps are pretty good sounding to me these days. You can barely see any zero-crossing non-linearity in measurements of a modern poly cap.

But still, this procedure isn't smoke-and-mirrors, it's real. A couple decades ago, I don't think you could make a really good passive crossover without CC. Electrolytic capacitors simply have to be charged to be anywhere close to linear.
Re: Charge Coupled Crossover Capacitors [message #69629 is a reply to message #69627] Tue, 27 September 2011 11:42 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes a bit out of my usual design area, but it is correct. One thing I would add is that in the article he used 9 volts to charge the caps and correctly indicated that you could handle 9 volt signals. True as far as it goes. I suspect that the 9 volts is peak not RMS. This is because you charged the cap with a very high resistance low current and the signal is from a low impedance high current source and could easily swamp the initial charge. 9 volts peak is only about 3 watts. As Wayne noted though, caps have become a lot better since then and many new designs eliminate the dreaded high value output cap altogether.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Passive Bi-Amplification
Next Topic: Ultimate Dipole Line Array
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:29:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers