Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Cleaning up Amps
Cleaning up Amps [message #69543] Mon, 19 September 2011 07:29 Go to next message
Christy is currently offline  Christy
Chancellor
Just curious on how everyone cleans their amps. My boyfriend has a few amps, and their in need of a good wipe down. I am guessing, the insides could use a cleaning too. Are the insides easy to clean, or should I leave it alone?
Re: Cleaning up Amps [message #69544 is a reply to message #69543] Mon, 19 September 2011 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't clean the insides of my amps unless I hear something rattling around in there, but I'm not sure if this is the best procedure.
Re: Cleaning up Amps [message #70108 is a reply to message #69543] Sun, 13 November 2011 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
I just wipe down the outside. I spray a cloth with Pledge and then wipe. I would never spray anything directly on the amps, but you want something moist to get them clean. Nothing too wet, either! Just a light spray of Pledge or even a glass cleaner.
Re: Cleaning up Amps [message #70111 is a reply to message #70108] Sun, 13 November 2011 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I don't clean the insides unless I suspect a problem. Like excessive dust accumulation. Then I usually use compressed air to blow it out. Most solid state amps never get enough dust inside to worry about. Ones with fans, can though. For the outsides, pretty much anything you might use on furniture placed on a rag will do. If it is a metal surface with say finger prints, a rag with something like windex is generally OK. No solvents.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Cleaning up Amps [message #78086 is a reply to message #69543] Sat, 12 October 2013 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chase is currently offline  Chase
Baron
I clean mine with a cloth dampened with glass cleaner. Once after something got spilled down the sides I used a Q-Tip to clean the crevices.
Re: Cleaning up Amps [message #78258 is a reply to message #69543] Fri, 01 November 2013 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Yes, amps with fans can definitely get dust problems. Like Bruce said, compressed air is good in that situation, just like cleaning the inside of a computer.
Re: Cleaning up Amps [message #78663 is a reply to message #69543] Sun, 15 December 2013 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Where I live it gets pretty dusty during the summer, so I blow mine out once a year. If I don't, I know they'll get bad. I stand back a bit though so there's not too much air pressure being applied. I also have one or two small fans going nearby so the dust doesn't settle back from where it came from.
Re: Cleaning up Amps [message #79860 is a reply to message #69543] Sat, 26 April 2014 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nisha is currently offline  Nisha
Baron
Whatever you do, keep the inside of the amps away from liquids. Even if you use a damp cloth, ensure that it is only slightly damped, and then clean only when really needed. I prefer using air pressure, once, maximum twice, a year.
Re: Cleaning up Amps [message #82175 is a reply to message #69543] Fri, 11 March 2016 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
My uncle used to recommend buying specific cleaners for cleaning amps and few other electronic devices, but my father and I were too lazy to buy those. We only cleaned the outside and we did it the old, simple way: not-so-wet cloth. We were not confident cleaning the insides although we had seen video tutorials on internet. Dad prefers to bring it to my uncle if it breaks. As far as I know nothing serious happened; we had one for years before we replaced it with a new one once it broke.
Re: Cleaning up Amps [message #82496 is a reply to message #69543] Mon, 25 April 2016 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dreamer13 is currently offline  dreamer13
Baron
We don't exactly clean regularly, we just do it when we feel like it's been too long since we last checked. We soak toothbrush or paintbrush in water mixed with dish detergent to clean the inside parts. Sometimes we also use blower. No serious problems found so far.
Previous Topic: Amps for Home
Next Topic: All the different kinds of amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:42:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout