Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » New tungsols from SRS and what happened...
New tungsols from SRS and what happened... [message #9268] Tue, 11 October 2005 15:34 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A week or so ago I posted about the tubes I bought from SRS webstore.They were the new tungsol reissue, a matched quad. When I received them I tested them in my hickock 532 tester. Three of them tested very well, around 5500 out of the box, and after testing a few times they seemed to settle at about 6000. The third tube measured only about 4500, dropping to around 4250, and settled in. They (SRS) told me that these were "dynamically matched" and my vintage tester was incapable of detectecting this! Bullshit! I re emailed them telling them there was a problem, so they told me to return them for rescreen. I had advised them that I would be happy with just the "bad"tube replaced. I heard from them today. Of the 117 dollars or so I spent, they refunded less 15% "restocking fee", so I got back approximately 88 dollars and change. They claimed the tubes tested fine, and were not defective! I can understand restocking fees and can live with that, but these tubes, according to them, are on the shelf to be resold, or else it wouldnt be a restocking fee would it?
Oh well, I contacted another vender with whom I have had good luck (revolution guitar) and asked what their policy was. They told me they do NO RETURNS on tubes. Oh well, guess I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place and call Upscale Audio. See what happens when you try to save a buck.

Russellc

Re: New tungsols from SRS and what happened... [message #9269 is a reply to message #9268] Tue, 11 October 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, for me, selling a BS line and calling a matched quad would cost them a customer. Sad thing is that most folks are quite short on measuring equimpent.

If they challenged my measurements, I would have responded with a demand for their test proceedure and match criterea. If it did not meet their spec....God help them.

thanks for the warning, for what it's worth for me...I don't do much volume in the traditional valve market.
cheers,
Douglas

BOI Audioworks [message #9274 is a reply to message #9268] Wed, 12 October 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Give Aki at BOI Audioworks a call. I bought a bunch of tubes from him and several were matched quads. Some were triode/pentodes and BOI matched both sections, clearly labeled on the box. They sound nice and all tested strong with my CTI tester too.

Re: New tungsols from SRS and what happened... [message #9275 is a reply to message #9269] Wed, 12 October 2005 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I ordered from a regular ( more expensive ) supplier and had a long conversation with them. they told me that for a dealer to get refunded on the tungsols, they must send them back to the factory. Of course these small peanut "dealers" cant afford to, or wont mess with it. Now if you were a russian tube salesman and you knew certain dealers never did returns, wouldnt you know where to send your droopers? To screen these bone heads out ( who just litter the tube buying landscape ) just inquire about returns and policy surrounding them. I will never again buy from these suppliers until they grow up and become businessmen instead of pains in others rear ends.

regards,
Russellc

Re: New tungsols and a POSITIVE note [message #9280 is a reply to message #9275] Sat, 15 October 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My new set has settled in nicely over the past few days and if durability proves to be good, are a winner. My previous favorites have been the SED 6550c and SED KT88. My last couple of sets were 6550c, but these new issue 6550 tungsols really remind be more of the KT88. Big Ballsy sound, with a little more energy on top. Tighter than the SED, with maybe a bigger sound. If they have the duability of the SED, I will give a big thumbs up. The SED 6550C is a great tube, very durable, and considerably cheaper than the tungsol reissue. Hopefully, the reissue will be just as reliable, we will see. Plus They are just way cool looking!

Russellc

Re: New tungsols and a POSITIVE note [message #9281 is a reply to message #9280] Sat, 15 October 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I am glad to hear that the new Russian valves bearing the Tung-Sol name are working out for you. I may have to acquire a set. Like any old name which developed a good reputation from past performances, these don't have a real connection to their namesake. It is good to see quality valves being made, what ever the label in any case.

Maybe if all the new ones were better, there'd be less demand for the older and rarer relatives.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: New tungsols and a POSITIVE note [message #9292 is a reply to message #9281] Wed, 19 October 2005 18:32 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No, no connection to the originals, but they are really cool looking, and I have been running them hard and no abnormalities, and I have over 600 volts on the plates! Bias seems even more steady than the SED, which is saying a lot. Now if the price would come down to the SED's!

Regards,
Russellc

Previous Topic: No more Riken resistors
Next Topic: Anyone tried other op points in Guinevere?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:32:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio