Home » xyzzy » Tower » Smart Phones
Smart Phones [message #69479] Tue, 13 September 2011 17:49 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, If any of you other dinosaurs out there want to feel like a dork, just get a new smart phone (I got a Samsung Epic 4G). Smile I am sure my 6 year old grand daughter can figure it out faster than I can. Tap, squeeze, spread, pinch, swish and so on are all terms that were not part of my previous vocabulary, at least not in reference to phones. Anyhow after a week of fiddling, and even reading the 175 page manual that came with it, I can now generally get it to do what I want. They really are something else. I follow technology in many areas but phones were off my radar. They are virtually hand held PCs and entertainment systems that can make phone calls. If you believe the hype there are over 250,000 apps for this one. BTW as I posted elsewhere, it does a credible job on music (any compressed type not just MP3) and will do (it says) HD video. The problem there is that it sucks the battery dry fairly quickly. My MP3 player (a Sony) does a better job and will run continuously for days. My biggest beefs right now are the screen protectors, just a tiny bit of dust under an edge and you are hosed. And the standard ringtones. Gads, if I wanted screaming meanies ..... I fixed that with one of the 250,000 amps. Somewhat more civilized now. I'm beginning to actually like it now Very Happy

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Smart Phones [message #69492 is a reply to message #69479] Thu, 15 September 2011 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FL152 is currently offline  FL152
Chancellor
I'm typing this through my iPhone 4, the best piece of equipment I ever had. Smile
And for the "dinosaur" part - my ringtone is "Bad moon rising". Smile
Re: Smart Phones [message #70013 is a reply to message #69479] Fri, 04 November 2011 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
I've had the same old cell phone for several years, and I was never planning to change it. It made calls, I could send text messages, and I even had a few basic games. Then my wife got an iPhone. I can't believe how much you can do with it. It's amazing how making calls has almost become a secondary function for these devices. I never wanted a new phone, until they virtually became handheld computers. I guess I'm ready to stop being a dinosaur now! Laughing
Re: Smart Phones [message #70015 is a reply to message #70013] Fri, 04 November 2011 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes indeed. Now we have smart phones.... AKA mini hand held computers that oh by the way make phone calls. I like the features that link to nearby gas stations (by price or distance) and being able to search Google maps/world for places I want to get to. The biggest problem I see is getting a good all inclusive plan and using restraint on ordering extras like movies, music and apps. I figure I got a fair deal off Sprint for 5 phones, two of which are 4G smart phones and the others all data capable. $245 per month. Essentially everything is unlimited. Only limit is 1500 shared minutes to non-cells and then only during weekdays 7 to 7. Last month we used 67 of the 1500!

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Smart Phones [message #70065 is a reply to message #69479] Tue, 08 November 2011 19:30 Go to previous message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
I think Smart Phones are the best new invention ever! I love my phone... I own a Bionic Droid (newest one). I can play games, surf the net, read books, text and make calls! I'm all about smart phones.
Previous Topic: Galaxy Tab
Next Topic: Soothing Sounds
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:52:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout