Home » Audio » Source » TV Microphones
TV Microphones [message #69452] Sun, 11 September 2011 12:26 Go to next message
DinosaurDance is currently offline  DinosaurDance
Chancellor
Do you know the brands of clip-on microphones that are typically used on TV? They all look the same but I figure they can't be; if they are, I want to buy stock in that company. Razz
Re: TV Microphones [message #71547 is a reply to message #69452] Sun, 26 February 2012 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
I'm not sure, but I doubt that they're all the same brand. I believe you're talking about lavalier microphones. I would guess several companies make them, but I have no idea which are popular with television networks.
Re: TV Microphones [message #71646 is a reply to message #69452] Sat, 03 March 2012 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DinosaurDance is currently offline  DinosaurDance
Chancellor
Yes, thank you; I did mean lavalier microphones. It would make sense that different brands are used, but they all look very similar. I guess if we saw them up close we could see the differences.
Re: TV Microphones [message #72851 is a reply to message #71646] Mon, 28 May 2012 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
In NY on TV/film shoots big names are Countryman/Sanken Lectrosonics/Tram. It's a pretty wide variety and I am sure location mixers all have their favorites.

Here's a lav-link to a long established rental house here in NY which deals in sales and rental packages (no affiliation):
http://www.pro-sound.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PSS&Category_Code=L

You can scroll through a lot of models and brands and check the prices.

If the mic has to be hidden on an actor, the technique of mounting the mic is probably most important, assuming the mics considered are all good quality.
Re: TV Microphones [message #72854 is a reply to message #72851] Mon, 28 May 2012 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Skywave, do you know what the different techniques for mounting lavaliers are? I would think it'd be tricky if you need to hide them.

They can also have the actors dub the lines later on if they want to keep the scene but think the dialogue audio quality isn't good enough.
Re: TV Microphones [message #72860 is a reply to message #72854] Tue, 29 May 2012 02:33 Go to previous message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
There's all kinds of tricks to quietly conceal lavs, including the use of moleskin as an adhesive, tape, pin-clips, concealers, mic-bras and sewing options. The hard part is to keep the capsule and the lead from rubbing in the fabric. Very hard to do. And the wardrobe variables lead to creative solutions.

ADR, or replacing the dialogue in the case of a poor recording (technical) or a bad performance, is common, but expensive. So a recordist needs to get the takes recorded well on-location or get another job.

Remember that the lav is not the sole source, there is always at least one shotgun mic picking up the sound. These days, that is recorded to a separate track, and the lavs as well on their own tracks, for flexibility in post production (edit/mix).

This all refers to film type production sound which is the same for serial TV.

Previous Topic: iPod vs non-iPod MP3 Players
Next Topic: Napster
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:49:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout