Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Soldering with Shaky Hands
Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #69231] Mon, 29 August 2011 10:01 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I'm learning how to solder, but unfortunately my hands tend to shake so it's challenging. Does anyone else have this issue, and how do you deal with it?
Re: Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #69232 is a reply to message #69231] Mon, 29 August 2011 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Practice.

Try resting your hand on your work, and moving the iron like you would a pencil to the paper.

Re: Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #69238 is a reply to message #69232] Mon, 29 August 2011 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Use a relatively small iron as well. I like 25 watters.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #69241 is a reply to message #69231] Tue, 30 August 2011 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Thank you both for your suggestions. I didn't realize just practicing would help me have a steadier hand, but it makes sense. I think my iron is 25 watts as well, but I am not sure.
Re: Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #69475 is a reply to message #69241] Tue, 13 September 2011 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siren is currently offline  Siren
Chancellor
I would just suggest practice using your soldering iron, concentrate on what you are doing, and relax. All of those tips helped my shaky hands, immensely!
Re: Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #70033 is a reply to message #69231] Sun, 06 November 2011 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
I agree with the advice everyone else gave. If you can't overcome this though, you might consider seeing a doctor. There are medications that can help with shaky hands. I realize that's probably not necessary for most people, but it's an option that's out there if you really need it.
Re: Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #71436 is a reply to message #69231] Mon, 20 February 2012 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I have the same issue. I have intention tremor, sometimes called essential tremor. This means that when I intentionally move my hands (or try to hold them in a certain position) they tremor. A reverse Parkinson's disease if you will. If my hands are relaxed they are very steady.

You can take Klonopin for it. It's a benzodiazapene that has much less sedation than the usual benzos, but it does lessen the tremor.
The problem is in your brain, not in your muscles or nerves. The more you use your hands, the more that part of the brain gets excited, and the worse the tremor becomes. Beta blockers also help, but they have a really mind deadening effect.

If the tremor gets really bad, I stop working for a while, and then start back.

I also try to support my wrist or arm on something to help steady it.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #72694 is a reply to message #71436] Sat, 12 May 2012 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mixinlady
Baron
It sounds like you should practice steadying your hands first doing less dangerous/crucial activities. Using some of those hand grip exercisers could help to strengthen your mitts and perhaps train you to be less shaky.
Re: Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #72710 is a reply to message #69231] Sun, 13 May 2012 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Try this. Take a pen or pencil and try drawing a spiral from the inside out. If your spiral isn't reasonably round, but rather like a jerky series of circles, then you have intention tremor. Also, try holding your hand out fingers stretched. They should be reasonably calm. Then try closing those fingers letting your forefinger touch your thumb.

If your fingers tremor during this second, closing, exorcise, you have intention tremor and the problem in in your brain, not your hand.

Also, the more you repeat a specific action like opening and closing those fingers, the worse the tremor will get. Intention tremor is like a reverse Parkinson tremor. Your hands are steady at rest but tremor when you intentionally move them.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Soldering with Shaky Hands [message #73538 is a reply to message #72710] Wed, 08 August 2012 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tedrashwin is currently offline  tedrashwin
Esquire

Quote:
A reverse Parkinson's disease if you will. If my hands are relaxed they are very steady.

anyone tried stem cell as Parkinson's treatment

Is that another from of cell therapy? Check out. I had my aunt undergo stem cell - parkinson's treatment
Previous Topic: Seeking advice on de-soldering
Next Topic: In need of a new multimeter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:51:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout