Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Thoughts on Digital Pianos
Thoughts on Digital Pianos [message #69204] Sat, 27 August 2011 05:48 Go to next message
LizardBat is currently offline  LizardBat
Baron
Does anyone here own or use a digital piano? I'm thinking about getting one for my home studio, but I'm a little dubious. Can someone give me their opinions on them, please. I have space for either a digital piano or an upright acoustic piano or maybe a spinet style piano. Thanks!
Re: Thoughts on Digital Pianos [message #69208 is a reply to message #69204] Sat, 27 August 2011 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Electric pianos have gotten soooo much better since the days of analog Korg, Roland, Arp and Moog synthesizers. Back then, seemed to me the sound to have - if you wanted an electric piano - was the Fender Rhodes. But it didn't sound anything like an acoustic piano. Now days, some of the modern digital pianos with sampled instruments are really good. Much more portable too, and no need for periodic tuning. That said, it's still hard to beat a real acoustic grand piano. Can you fit maybe a baby grand?

Re: Thoughts on Digital Pianos [message #69246 is a reply to message #69204] Tue, 30 August 2011 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think an acoustic piano is better, but the portability, smaller size and improved quality that Wayne mentioned make a digital piano a viable option.
Re: Thoughts on Digital Pianos [message #69346 is a reply to message #69246] Mon, 05 September 2011 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
In my experience, an acoustic piano recording can sound knockout IF you have the right mics and (especially) the right room acoustics. Of course, I do tend to compare piano recordings to the stuff I've heard come out of a friend's studio. He has a Yamaha grand that sounds absolutely stunning, and the right acoustics to record it. It's downright magical.

But, I personally almost never have access to such ideal conditions, so I generally MUCH prefer digital pianos. No mic placement or acoustics problems, no tuning, no maintenance, no worrying about humidity and temperature, or any of the stuff that comes with an acoustic piano. You just plug it in, choose your preset, set the levels, and let 'er rip.

And, however good an acoustic piano may sound, it's still a one-trick pony. You just can't beat the plethora of tones available from a digital piano, that will cover any song or musical style imaginable. It also requires very little EQ'ing. You just add some appropriate compression and reverb.

Roland and Kurzweil are IMO the best. However, there's a great disparity in tone between the different Roland models. Play several, and find the one you like.

Just my 2 cents.

Thermionic

Re: Thoughts on Digital Pianos [message #70989 is a reply to message #69346] Fri, 13 January 2012 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisR is currently offline  chrisR
Baron
A little late, probably...

I have a Casio Pixma 310, and I'm no piano player, but I really like it. It has good sounds when played through a good system, and the action is reasonably close to a real piano.

Chris
Re: Thoughts on Digital Pianos [message #73147 is a reply to message #69204] Wed, 27 June 2012 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
likearecordbaby
Baron
I think they're convenient if you're pressed for space, have a budget, etc. They're easy to learn on and mimic an actual piano close enough.
Re: Thoughts on Digital Pianos [message #73172 is a reply to message #69204] Sat, 30 June 2012 15:52 Go to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
They are better than they used to be, but I wish digital pianos had hammer-weighted keys so they can mimic the feel of playing an acoustic piano.
Previous Topic: Zildjian Cymbals
Next Topic: Crazy Panning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:13:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout