Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Midrange Horn
Re: Midrange Horn [message #63446 is a reply to message #62607] Mon, 19 July 2010 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The midhorn flatpack kits are back on the π Speakers shopping cart, same price as before.
Order when ready. Cool

icon14.gif  MID HORN FLAT PACK [message #63977 is a reply to message #44366] Thu, 02 September 2010 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biglaz is currently offline  biglaz
Baron
Wayne,

I received the (2) Mid Horn flat packs from UPS yesterday. Opened them this AM. Extremely well packed with your expanding foam on the corners. (You must like the expanding foam because I remember you used it to fill the cavity of I believe the 10Pi.) Anyway, no damage.

For any forum member thinking about this flat pack do not hesitate. It took only about 30 minutes to assemble both horns, no drivers yet. All the dowels lined up and if you follow the number code you can not mess up. Can't wait to mount the drivers and give them a listen.
FYI. I attempted to build this horn twice. Even though I ended up with reasonable facsimiles they were just not right.

Thanks,

Robert

PS. Need Pi emblems to stick on the horns.
Re: MID HORN FLAT PACK [message #63981 is a reply to message #63977] Thu, 02 September 2010 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad they arrived OK. And you're right, you have a good memory, I've used that same kind of foam to fill dead air spaces on speaker cabinets. Works very well as a foam-in-place packaging material too, protecting those sharp corners. The tips of the midhorn's top and bottom panels will punch right through most other kinds of fill.

Midhorn Flat Pack Tips [message #69157 is a reply to message #44366] Wed, 24 August 2011 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bane2871 is currently offline  Bane2871
Esquire
Just received the midhorn flatpack. Does anyone who has done these have any construction tips? They look like one of those projects that appear fairly straight forward but end up being pretty tricky. Any thoughts?

Also, what size wooden dowel pins should I use?
Re: Midhorn Flat Pack Tips [message #69159 is a reply to message #69157] Wed, 24 August 2011 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Miller dowel pins are included. They're just sitting in throat hole cutout, sandwiched in between side panels. If you use them to pin the horn together you won't need to cradle the horn while the glue sets. Just put white glue on every surface, assemble the horn and tap the pins in.

Re: Midhorn Flat Pack Tips [message #69165 is a reply to message #69159] Wed, 24 August 2011 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks. I hadn't pulled the pack apart yet.

Is there a way to make this thread sticky? It's a great reference thread.
Re: Midhorn Flat Pack Tips [message #69166 is a reply to message #69165] Wed, 24 August 2011 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's a pretty heavily visited thread, one that gets referenced often. I suppose we could make it a sticky, but I think it gets enough attention anyway. We just keep bringing it back up, as needed. Smile

Re: Midrange Horn [message #69200 is a reply to message #44366] Fri, 26 August 2011 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I assume that if I am going to veneer the inside of the horn, I will need to do so prior to assembly? The issue I see is accounting for interference.

How do Pi's best and brightest usually do this?
Re: Midrange Horn [message #69201 is a reply to message #69200] Fri, 26 August 2011 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It depends on the thickness of the veneer. If you're using thin veneer, you can cover the entire side before assembly. But thick veneers will create enough offset the pieces won't fit together well so you have to trim to fit. On those, it's best to cut the veneer to size before assembly, but don't actually attach it until after assembly. Honestly, the thinner veneers are easier to use for the flare pieces. Save the thicker stuff for the cabinet sides.

Re: Midrange Horn [message #71510 is a reply to message #44366] Fri, 24 February 2012 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
djnagle is currently offline  djnagle
Esquire
Hi Wayne, any thoughts about offering a 100hz front loaded horn??? I have 350hz edgarhorns and 4 good subs that will easily go up to 100hz.....just need to fill that gap. Dennis.
Previous Topic: How good is the 1Pi? Pretty good, I think.
Next Topic: I covet the 7Pi Plans...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:35:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout