Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Midrange Horn
Re: 7PI midrange directivity [message #62025 is a reply to message #62024] Wed, 10 March 2010 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hornT is currently offline  hornT
Esquire
Thanks Wayne. I was just curious. If you calculate the the angles on the midhorn it gives exactly 83.1x29

Does flat frequency response really exist?
- and is it equal to perfect sound?
Re: Midrange Horn [message #62253 is a reply to message #44366] Sat, 03 April 2010 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danielm is currently offline  danielm
Esquire
Has anyone tried the Beta 10 in the mid horn?

Re: Midrange Horn [message #62254 is a reply to message #62253] Sat, 03 April 2010 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I didn't try that driver, no. I expect it would probably work pretty well, but it's hard to say - sometimes they surprise you. If you don't already have the drivers, it might be better to go with one of the drivers it has been tested with.

The midhorns are supposed to be ready this week, by the way. Finally!

One thing, the new shop prefers to build completed horns as opposed to flat packs. We kicked around the options, looked at the pros and cons, weighed the fact that flat pack kits are smaller but pre-assembled horns don't depend on user alignment of pieces during assembly.

In the end, we decided to provide midhorns assembled instead of as flat packs. You'll still need to build the cabinet to house it, but the precut and assembled horn will keep you from having to do the angled cuts and build a clamp/jig for assembly.

Re: Midrange Horn [message #62256 is a reply to message #62254] Sat, 03 April 2010 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne. I have a stack of Beta 10s that I used in a vertical array of vented boxes. I need to get a little more out of 'em as I am AC power limited to the outdoor stage where they are used.
I was thinking of using this mid horn and tuning the box for a small bump around 80-90hz might just get me by.
Four Lab subs for <90hz.
Re: Midrange Horn [message #62259 is a reply to message #62256] Sat, 03 April 2010 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't try to use the seven π midhorns all the way down to the subs. They were designed to be used with a midbass subsystem below them. The midhorns just won't reach the subs and would leave about an octave wide hole without midbass drivers in between. I'd suggest adding something like this:
More information on the midhorn used in the π cornerhorn:
Re: Midrange Horn [message #62261 is a reply to message #62259] Sat, 03 April 2010 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I didn't expect the mid horn to offer much below 250hz.
I was thinking/hoping if I tuned the rear chamber to 80-90hz...
But, since I have a few of the beta 10s here's my ideas so far:

1) One mid horn centered in a 32" wide box with another 10" mounted on each end BPs 80-250hz( flanked left and right). With the spacing between the two ends I might get a little forward direction control down to 100hz or so as a doublet. One driver flipped to cancel the non-linear suspension stuff.

2) Mid horn wrapped with a longer path folded horn driven with another beta 10. The mouth would be far too small but these are to be used in a stack of four to eight boxes tall.

3) Forget the whole vertical stacking idea and make several "point and shoot" boxes with narrow patterns that will array horizontally.

I've been using a vertical stack of twelve Beta 10s per side in vented boxes tuned to 70hz. Nice sounding but, the system really lacked low mid output needed on my limited power budget. Plus, it is a nightmare to rig. Top end is P-Audio 1.4" drivers in a much shorter array.

Re: Midrange Horn [message #62262 is a reply to message #62261] Sat, 03 April 2010 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are probably a lot of things you can make "work" but I think you'll be happier in the end with more midbass capacity, and that's gonna require different drivers, in my opinion. I'm not saying you should do away with the Beta 10's necessarily, just that they are midrange drivers and can't do midbass no matter how you load them. If you were doing a home hifi setup, you could definitely use them but when pressed for max SPL, they're just not going to cut it down low.

Re: Midrange Horn [message #62284 is a reply to message #62254] Sun, 04 April 2010 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
So, midhorns ready soon. What kind of wood will be used? I hope for an option other than mdf.

Thanks.
Re: Midrange Horn [message #62285 is a reply to message #62284] Sun, 04 April 2010 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We're going to start with MDF, but any veneer can be applied.

Re: Midrange Horn [message #62607 is a reply to message #62285] Tue, 11 May 2010 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
Are the mid-range horns ready for sale? Might you bring a few to the Dallas diy show?

Thanks.
Tom
Previous Topic: How good is the 1Pi? Pretty good, I think.
Next Topic: I covet the 7Pi Plans...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:31:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout