Home » Audio » General » Audiophile words
Audiophile words [message #68983] Thu, 11 August 2011 22:23 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've generally avoided using "audiophile words" as adjectives to describe sound quality, preferring to talk about things in a more concrete, technical manner. But I do know that many people try to describe qualities using adjectives they know, sort of going by the "feel" of the word. So I thought I'd start a little list of audiophile words. Chime in with your favorites. Smile

Here are a few to get us started:

Fast bass - usually low Qts woofers, tend to have little extension and gradual rolloff
Warm - tends to be heavier in the midbass and lower midrange than the upper midtrange and treble
Full, Fat or Round - deep bass extension
Flabby or Boomy - low Qts, often underdamped, peaks in the bass
Shouty - strong in the upper midrange overtone region
Shrill - strong in the treble, weak in the lower midrange and bass
Strident - Like shouty or shrill, but maybe not as strong
Crisp - strong in the top octave
Air or Sparkle - the top octave
Tilted up response - slightly stronger in the treble than the bass, usually with a uniform, gradual rise
Tilted down response - slightly stronger in the bass than the treble, usually with a uniform, gradual fall
Beamy - narrow directivity, often collapsing with frequency. Sometimes used the same as "shouty"

Re: Audiophile words [message #68997 is a reply to message #68983] Sat, 13 August 2011 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, How about descriptions for Forward, Fuzzy and Detailed to add to the list.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Audiophile words [message #69007 is a reply to message #68997] Sat, 13 August 2011 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good ones, please do tell.

When I've heard people use the word "forward", they've always meant more midrange and treble than bass. Same thing with "detailed". Can't say I've ever heard anyone say something sounded "fuzzy", but I would guess they meant noisy, like a preamp with poor a high noise floor. I dunno. What's your take on "fuzzy"? What did they mean?

That brings up an opposite - the word "black" is often used by tube amp guys to describe a very high signal-to-noise ratio, a very low noise floor, where nothing can be heard between passages.

Forward or Detailed - over-represented midrange and treble, generally lacking bass
Fuzzy - poor signal-to-noise ratio(?)
Black - good signal-to-noise ratio, as in no sound in-between musical passages

Re: Audiophile words [message #69011 is a reply to message #69007] Sun, 14 August 2011 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Audiospeak. Gotta love it because everyone has a different idea of what a description actually means. Nice go at the definitions Wayne!
Re: Audiophile words [message #69013 is a reply to message #69011] Sun, 14 August 2011 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes indeed. I try to avoid it when ever possible. But everyone wants to know how something sounds. Fuzzy would be indistinct. Especially on voices. Black is a good description of a quiet amplifier. I figure based on my own data and system that it occurs in the -80-85 db range. That is part of the reason I won't post any projects until they get to that level. As opposed to "black", "dark" is usually referring to a lack of detail and usually a poor response in the mids and upper ranges.

Now for some fun.... I use the description of "like a 6 transistor radio" to describe really bad sound. Everyone seems to be able to figure that one out. Very Happy

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Audiophile words [message #82255 is a reply to message #68983] Sat, 19 March 2016 14:58 Go to previous message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
I knew a woman once whose voice was "shrill". A bit on a the nasal side as well. Laughing

Those are some good lists. I will try to add my own sometime soon
Previous Topic: The Color Question
Next Topic: Dirt in jack?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:53:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers