Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 1pi or 2pi for surrounds?
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69210 is a reply to message #68904] Sat, 27 August 2011 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smokarz is currently offline  smokarz
Baron
thanks justphil.

i will build the cab and leave the front baffle for later.
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69211 is a reply to message #69207] Sat, 27 August 2011 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like to cut the port holes on the baffle so the port tube fits snugly in them. Cut the port to the proper lenth with a table saw and apply a thin film of white glue on the edge to protect it. Put white glue on the baffle edge where the port goes and press it in flush to the baffle, wiping off any excess glue.

I also like to paint the interior of the port. You can do that with an aerosol can before gluing it in or you can use a paintbrush after assembly. If you spray paint the inside of the port, protect the outside where the white glue will be using masking tape. The cardboard adheres best when it isn't covered with paint.

Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69212 is a reply to message #68904] Sat, 27 August 2011 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
thanks wayne,

for spray cans, what brand do you recommend? i will also be building a pair of stands for the 1pis and like to paint it black.

thought i might get a few cans to paint both the ports and the stands.
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69213 is a reply to message #69212] Sat, 27 August 2011 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
I used Krylon satin black on my ports and stands. Satin is much more forgiving than a gloss IMO.
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69214 is a reply to message #68904] Sat, 27 August 2011 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
thanks, do you also prime the stands before you spray paint? i assume the stands are either plywood or mdf?
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69215 is a reply to message #69214] Sat, 27 August 2011 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
I think its wise to use primer no matter what you are using. It helps to make the paint coats go on more evenly.
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69250 is a reply to message #68904] Tue, 30 August 2011 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
hi wayne, got the 1pi kits today. thank you.

got a few questions.

1) what size screws should i use to attach tweeter to baffle?

2) what size is the cut out for the speaker terminals in the back?

3) not sure what ports to get. something from parts-express or maybe a lowes/home depot?

Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69251 is a reply to message #69250] Tue, 30 August 2011 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Answers by numbers:

1. Use #6 pan head screws to attach the drivers to the baffle. You can get them at any hardware store, like Lowes, Home Depot or Sutherlands and even some department stores like Target or Walmart. If you can't find them with a black finish, you can paint the heads black with enamel and a small paint brush, like what you might use to paint a model.

2. Cut a rectangular hole 2-1/8" x 2-7/8" for the connector panel. We put them on the center of the back panel, 3" from the bottom.

3. The port is 2-1/2" diameter. I remember including the tube you should use, so look for a cardboard tube in the box. It's about 9" long. Cut two 3-1/2" long tubes from this with a table saw and glue them onto the baffle.

Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69254 is a reply to message #68904] Wed, 31 August 2011 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
thanks wayne, i'll look for the tube. i thought i saw it when i unpacked.

is cardboard tube good enough? is it going to last a while in somewhat humid/moist environments?
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? [message #69255 is a reply to message #69254] Wed, 31 August 2011 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I prefer the thick cardboard tube we use to PVC or even the plastic ones made to be used as speaker ports. The mailer tube we use is very thick, strong enough you could use it as a baseball bat. It's made of the same "stuff" as the cabinet, being a paper product which is essentially a derivative of wood pulp. And it is well damped, making no sound of its own. The only thing a plastic tube has to offer is they are sometimes radiused, but the port airspeed in not a problem in any models of my speakers, so there's no benefit to be gained by radiusing the ports. For all these reasons, I have always preferred cardboard ports over plastic. Just paint the tube and seal the ends with glue as I described earlier in this thread.

Previous Topic: Flanking subs and phase
Next Topic: Pi 3 or 4?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:56:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout