Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » One output transformer hotter than the other
so then... [message #9174 is a reply to message #9171] Tue, 30 August 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thrint is currently offline  Thrint
Baron
It has what looks like the same current flowing through it, it does not sound radically different from its cooler twin, and it is next to a heat source....

A short in it would effect only the sound, andwould actually make it run cooler. i is the same, but the r is now smaller. Power transformers are another story.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: One output transformer hotter than the other [message #9178 is a reply to message #9162] Sun, 04 September 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've decided to temporarily retire the old Scott until I can figure out what's going on. The right channel gets downrigh hot, the left only warm, but everything measures the same on both sides. Wierd. Also, the left side is a bit "duller" sounding than the right. I've dug out my old Fisher 500C receiver and am using just the amp/preamp section (see posts above.) The Fisher actually sounds somewhat nicer on my old EV LS-8 open baffles. Highs are smoother (softer?) and bass a bit fuller (a good thing with open baffles.) It sure looks ugly, though. Oh well, I guess it's hard to have it all.

Dave

Figured it out! [message #9186 is a reply to message #9162] Tue, 06 September 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I got the old Scott fixed. Turns out that a 68 ohm resistor in the negative feedback circuit was open. Everything sounds great now.

Dave

Well, almost [message #9187 is a reply to message #9186] Tue, 06 September 2005 17:39 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
After several hours of running, the sound is still excellent, but that right tranny still gets way hotter than the left, uncomfortably hot. Maybe it's normal and I'm to much of a worry wort. While I was working on it earlier, I checked carefully the resistance of the right channel tranny vs the left one. They are identical, so no short. Wasn't able to find any more bad resistors. I put my hand on it for about 15 seconds then had to pull off as it was starting to hurt. I can leave my hand on the left on as long as I like.

Does this sound like normal extra heating from the rectifier?

Dave

Previous Topic: Help with '45' problem?
Next Topic: Fisher 500C-how hot is too hot?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:54:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio