Home » Audio » Radio » Ham Radio
Ham Radio [message #68836] Thu, 04 August 2011 09:22 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Are there any ham radio operators on here? How did you get interested and how often do you get on the radio? Do you have to be licensed?
Re: Ham Radio [message #69740 is a reply to message #68836] Fri, 07 October 2011 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
So, what, exactly is ham radio? Call me crazy, but I've never heard of it. Is it like doing radio shows? Or am I on a totally wrong track?
Re: Ham Radio [message #70260 is a reply to message #69740] Tue, 22 November 2011 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lunkie is currently offline  lunkie
Chancellor
Ham radio, aka amateur radio. If you've ever listen to amateur radio operators talk on the HF bands than you'll know where the term "ham radio" comes from. Licensing is required. I had my novice license but it expired before I could renew. I have plenty of friends that are "hams" but I was never as interested in it as them.

Lunk and the Low Notes
Re: Ham Radio [message #70275 is a reply to message #70260] Thu, 24 November 2011 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aki is currently offline  Aki
Baron
I had a Technician license couple of decades ago, then I let it run out. I didn't go on the air much, I was mostly into building (and tearing down) gears.

I just started to think about taking the exam and get licensed again. Would love to get my hands on old Collins and Drake tube gears that I used to dream about owning way back when.
Re: Ham Radio [message #70334 is a reply to message #68836] Wed, 30 November 2011 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Canzone is currently offline  Canzone
Chancellor
Is regular radio equipment enough for operating ham radio, or do you need specialized hardware? I imagine it must be difficult to get your hands on the hardware nowadays, since radio sets as we knew them are pretty much gone.
Re: Ham Radio [message #70340 is a reply to message #68836] Wed, 30 November 2011 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
I do have a couple of friends who do radio shows. I didn't really know what was involved. They have some pretty technical equipment, but I never really have seen them in action, only listened in a few times.
Re: Ham Radio [message #70346 is a reply to message #70340] Wed, 30 November 2011 20:07 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I was one for many years. Rather neat at the time to be able to contact folks on a world wide basis. Back then you could either buy or build your gear. I bought the receivers and built the transmitters. Now you can still do it, but I suspect the components to build your own stuff might be difficult to obtain. Ham radio was restricted to certain bands and frequencies. At the time it was fairly easy to get a license. Now I have no idea what is available. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: CB Radio
Next Topic: Satellite Radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:08:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers