Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic?
Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #68835] Wed, 03 August 2011 23:33 Go to next message
Yaser is currently offline  Yaser
Chancellor
Many, if not all, bars and clubs that allow smoking. Does the smoke in the room affect the acoustic if someone is performing on stage?
Re: Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #68838 is a reply to message #68835] Thu, 04 August 2011 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No

Re: Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #68960 is a reply to message #68835] Wed, 10 August 2011 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I don't see how it could, unless it was so thick as to make the room literally uninhabitable. I suppose lots of smoke could make it a little harder for the singer, but most singers are probably used to it.
Re: Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #68992 is a reply to message #68835] Sat, 13 August 2011 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ebirah01 is currently offline  Ebirah01
Chancellor

Actually it will effect it, but most likely imperceptibly so. The billowing of smoke is a function of thermal displacement combined with the introduction of carbonized material into the local atmosphere, which will change the ways in which the air is compressed to transmit sound waves. That being said, the heat changes and the density of the particles are so similar to the local atmosphere, in terms of what is significant to sound travel, you can ignore it. Open burning flames may be a different story, but smokers in a club will not effect much, unless you are in North Carolina, that is. Wink
Re: Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #69032 is a reply to message #68992] Tue, 16 August 2011 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for that explanation Ebirah. I thought it was just the booze that I was drinking that affected my hearing. The problem is I thought the music sounded better inside bars.
Re: Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #69046 is a reply to message #69032] Wed, 17 August 2011 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It could be that the acoustic properties of the room make the music sound better to you than hearing it outside, rather than the smoke.
Re: Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #69049 is a reply to message #69046] Wed, 17 August 2011 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's definitely a difference in sound inside verses outside. Outside, there are no reflections. Inside, you have reflections and standing wave room modes.

Re: Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #69060 is a reply to message #68835] Thu, 18 August 2011 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
I seriously doubt the smoke affects the sound. And I am always amazed at the really good singers that I hear and then see them outside having a smoke.
Re: Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #69169 is a reply to message #69060] Wed, 24 August 2011 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Now that makes me wonder if smoking will have an effect on the singers. Many singers do smoke so I think smoking doesn't affect their voices.

Back to topic though, like what Wayne said, there is a big difference with inside and outside buildings. As far smoke inside buildings, it was already explained by Ebirah.
Re: Does Smoke In Bars/Clubs Affect Acoustic? [message #74947 is a reply to message #68835] Fri, 14 December 2012 22:49 Go to previous message
DeccoRec is currently offline  DeccoRec
Chancellor
I don't know, it may not effect the singers throats much, but if the smoke is real heavy, ya' sure do have to wipe the guitars down good.
Previous Topic: Soundproofing Is NOT "Room Treatment"
Next Topic: Any Suggestions...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:35:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout