Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68650 is a reply to message #68649] Tue, 19 July 2011 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
That is different than how I read the instructions, but is consistent with how I thought it should work. So if the "cardboard" tube is inserted into the cutout and is flush with the front edge of the panel, how do you finish it to make it look seamless?

I wish I had realized sooner that the 4pis were not intended to be screwed. I had just finished researching F20 build threads and for those i was told that clamping was not necessary and that it just held the panels together more effectively while one screwed them together. Since I don't own more than 2 4" clamps, I did not clamp anything on the F20. I wrongfully assumed the same applied to all speaker cabinet builds. While you can barely notice the screws on my first 4pi build with everything painted black, my slight case of OCD will always make me a little bothered that one is screwed while all of the others are not.

Note: I just spent $135 on eight 24" clamps. All of the surrounds will be seen to a certain degree, so I thought I better follow Wayne's instructions. Smile
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68652 is a reply to message #68650] Tue, 19 July 2011 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What I like to do is to attach the carboard tube in the cabinet and apply veneer over the face, covering the edge of the tube.

Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68653 is a reply to message #68650] Tue, 19 July 2011 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
I asked the same question =) He usually veneers the cabs so it isnt a problem. As he stated you can get plastic tubes that are more cosmetic perhaps for your build as long as they match the dimensions.
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68654 is a reply to message #68653] Tue, 19 July 2011 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Stopped at Lowes to buy clamps and stopped in pluming to see if they had pvc that was the right size to no avail. They only had 1 1/2", 2", 3", etc.
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68656 is a reply to message #68654] Tue, 19 July 2011 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Personally, I think I'd rather have the cardboard tube. It's thick and strong, not flimsy like a toilet roll tube.

Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68657 is a reply to message #68656] Tue, 19 July 2011 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I am pretty sure when Wayne refered to the plastic ports he meant something like this. I think it is pretty close to his dimensions and can be trimmed to length.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-478
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68665 is a reply to message #68657] Thu, 21 July 2011 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks for the info! Smile
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68677 is a reply to message #68657] Fri, 22 July 2011 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
@justphil...I did end up purchasing those exact tubes that you linked to. While Wayne's opinion is well received, I do not think I will be veneering the 1pis, and think I will like the look of the flared port. If only I could find a 3 3/4" hole saw locally! Confused It seems like they have everything but. It literally goes from 3 1/2, 3 5/8, 4, 4 1/8, 4 1/4. It's almost like the universe knew I was coming to buy the 3 3/4 and plotted against me.

On a different note: I did my first ever clamp and glue job. I must say this is much different than screwing things together. It went...poorly. Here is what I learned on my 1st 1pi:

1. Tightbond dries much faster than I expected

2. Tightbond is much runnier than PL Premium. I think I do not need to apply quite as much. I had the stuff dripping everywhere.

3. Even though the cabinet is small, 8 clamps is not enough. One needs at least 12 clamps. I will be purchasing 4 more tonight.

4. For some reason I am able to cut completely straight panels for larger cabinets, but smaller cabinets are harder to make exact. This point is still a mystery to me. Perhaps I was just having a bad day.

5. You cannot glue it together on a flat surface, as your clamps need space to hang. Another obvious point, but not so obvous until I started putting things together. I had to quickly figure out where to put the cabinet and balancing on a saw horse seemed like the best answer at the time.

6. When drilling the 1/2" holes before the tweeter cutout, make sure to have the back of the panel against another piece of wood that you do not care about. I found that the last layer of ply likes to break off instead of being drilled, even if you are careful. Drilling against another piece of wood should prevent that.

In the end, my first 1pi should be okay, I just have a lot of sanding in my immediate future. I used 3/4" Baltic Birch. Since the 3/4" Baltic Birch is actually 11/16", I adapted the extra thickness to Wayne's deisgn by making the width 12 5/8" and the height 18 5/8". The depth is unaffected by the thicker wood, as the side panels need only remain at 7 1/4". Overall, these measurements (unless I am wrong) should maintain the same internal dimensions as the original design.

One last point. At first I could not figure out why the instructions did not identify the center of the port like it did for the tweeter cutout. Instead it showed the edges of the port 1" from each the right side and bottom of the cabinet. When I decided to go with a flared plastic port, I realized the reason for this, as the cut-out diameter increases from 2 1/2" to 3 3/4". If there were a fixed center for the port, the larger cutout would take me off the side of the panel. These points may seem immediately obvious to those of you who build these on a regular basis, but for the first timer they are not.

index.php?t=getfile&id=559&private=0
  • Attachment: 1pi01.jpg
    (Size: 53.91KB, Downloaded 6669 times)
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68678 is a reply to message #68600] Fri, 22 July 2011 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
@Wayne...

It is my intent to recess the 1pi speakers 5 1/2 inches into the wall between 2x6 studs. As a result, someone on a different forum suggested that I ask you the following question:

"Does the 1pi have baffle step compensation? Up against the wall might give it a rising bottom. You should ask him if the crossover needs tweaking for in-wall duty."
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68679 is a reply to message #68678] Fri, 22 July 2011 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Why not use your router to cut the hole for the 3 3/4? I used a home made router jig for making circles and just marked it accordingly for the port size.

How are you now going to put in the insulation with the baffle/face on the 1pi now?
I built my 1 and 2pis leaving the baffle/front off the box. I also cut the baffle about a 1/2" larger so I could flush cut it with a router when I was done in case I was a tad out of square. I then did all the insulating and such. I also used a drill press and used "T-nuts" for holding the woofers in. Are you just going to screw them to the wood? I am sure its fine perhaps I am just anal =P Once that was all done I glued on the baffle and was ready to rock =)
Previous Topic: Audition in Austin
Next Topic: $5 drivers as computer Pis
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 07:29:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout