Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? (Please send me plans) vs JBL 8320 or 8340A [message #68621 is a reply to message #68619] Mon, 18 July 2011 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
If they are.that similar, then their sizes will probably play a big part in my decision. if you will send me the plans, I will take a look at their dimensions and decide. thanks again Wayne!
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? (Please send me plans) vs JBL 8320 or 8340A [message #68623 is a reply to message #68621] Mon, 18 July 2011 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Outside dimensions for each model are shown at the following page:
Please decide which model you want and let me know - I'll send the plans right out.

Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? (Please send me plans) vs JBL 8320 or 8340A [message #68625 is a reply to message #68623] Mon, 18 July 2011 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I think 1pi definitely. The dimensions will actually allow me to put them between 2x6 studs and actually conceal 5.5" of that 8 inch depth. They will only stick out 2" after Sheetrock is hung. Smile
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds? (Please send me plans) vs JBL 8320 or 8340A [message #68626 is a reply to message #68625] Mon, 18 July 2011 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68639 is a reply to message #68626] Tue, 19 July 2011 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Please forgive me if these questions have been asked and answered;

1. What kind of screws do you recommend for the 1pi cabinet? I have been using a combination of 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" #8 wood screws for the 4pi builds, but fear these are to big for 5/8" plywood.

2. As long as the internal dimensions are kept the same, would it be okay to use 3/4" Baltic Birch for the 1pi cabinets?

3. I did not see any mention of cross bracing for the 1pi in the instructions. May I assume this is not necessary with this cabinet?

4. I see the port is round with a diameter of 2 1/2". The schematic shows the port is to be 3 1/2" deep. Is there a round port insert that comes with the kit, or is the depth of the port square while the entrance to the port is round? I am just a little confused how to make a round port with a depth of 3 1/2".

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer!

Jon Michael
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68643 is a reply to message #68639] Tue, 19 July 2011 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Answers by numbers:

1. Screws - Don't use them, use clamps instead. I only use screws in cabinets where removable clamps would be impossible or impractical to use. An example is the 12π hornsub, which has internal structures and panels that must be clamped, so we use screws to provide clamping pressure while the glue sets. We predrill the holes and put PL adhesive in the holes before inserting the screws. That makes sure the screws don't vibrate loose and that no internal void, split or chip is formed that might start buzzing later.

2. Baltic birch is fine.

3. No bracing is necessary, the cabinet is small and very rigid.

4. The kit contains port material. It's a thick cardboard tube that you cut to 3.5". Cut the port hole to match the OD of the duct and glue it in. Some people use plastic ducts, and that's fine, I suppose, but I prefer cardboard. It's wood pulp, just like the cabinet. I like to paint the inside of the duct black.

Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68645 is a reply to message #68643] Tue, 19 July 2011 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
As I mentioned in my previous post, for my first 4pi build I glued all joints using PL, and then screwed them together using 1 1/2" #8 brass wood screws. I guess I didn't realize the cabinet could be completely held together by PL alone. Actually, I suppose I should even ask if PL is the right glue to use. I assumed so since it is what the instructions called for with my F20 builds. (At least I didn't use sheetrock screws) Wink

Am I going to run into issues with my 4pi, or is it supposed to have screws used? After screwing up on my first 4pi build in which I used Arauco, I was happy with the results of my second one (which is now really the first one) using the baltic birch.

I hope I don't have to start all over again. :-/
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68646 is a reply to message #68645] Tue, 19 July 2011 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I prefer Titebond or Elmer's Wood glue for MDF. But for my larger hornsub cabinets that use Baltic Birch, I prefer PL adhesive. I have also used it in smaller cabinets and it works just fine. It just isn't as easy to clean up. So for the "furniture" aspect of the speakers that have real wood veneer finishes, I think probably the wood glues are probably better. Once that PL gets on the wood, it's really hard to get it off, so the finish can be blotchy.

Now please understand I usually have a cabinetmaker do the woodworking, so I'll defer to some of them here to give other opinions. There are some really good cabinetmakers here on the forum. What I'm telling you is what I've come across on the cabinets I've helped build. I tend to be hands-on from time to time with my cabinetmaker buddies, and have learned some from them.

As for the structural stuff, I've found good clamped joints are usually stronger than the wood when using either glue. If you break a box, it usually breaks the fibers next to the glue joint, not directly on the seam. So I'm pretty happy with both adhesives in this respect. As for acoustics, both are fine too.

About the screws, I wouldn't get too worried since they are all exposed and easy to access. You can always remove them, run a drop of glue down in the hole and retighten. The glue can then press into any layers that may have split when tightening the screws.

Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68648 is a reply to message #68646] Tue, 19 July 2011 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Another question on the port:

If the internal diameter of the 1pi port is 2 1/2", and the cutout for the port is 2 1/2", then I assume the 3 1/2" tube (minus the thickness of the front panel) is glued to the back of the front panel? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but just want to be absolutely sure of what I am doing before I begin.
Re: 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68649 is a reply to message #68648] Tue, 19 July 2011 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
If I understand your questions correctlly this is my answer. You cut the port material to the length needed IE: 3 1/2". The actual port cut out is just a hair bigger than the 2 1/2 diameter. I cut a 2 1/2 hole and then when I got the port material I used my dremel with a sander tip and opened it up just enough to get the port in. I then coated the end edge of the port with some PL (I used PL on all my 2pi and 1pi cabs) and slid it in even with the baffles front.

So long story short cut the port to 3 1/2" and slid it in all the way through the front/baffle until it reaches the outside edge.
Previous Topic: Audition in Austin
Next Topic: $5 drivers as computer Pis
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 14:49:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout