Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Looking for a few extra watts for your Pis?
Looking for a few extra watts for your Pis? [message #68576] Sat, 16 July 2011 15:15 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm sure I've posted before about George Andersons Tubelab Simple SE but I re-tubed it today and it's just killer! No, it was killer, now it's from another Planet. And a 12 year old could build it. Like me.

When first built last year I tried some pre-Sovtek Svetlana 6550s and thought they were kinda lean and nasty. Went with my cheap-ass fav E-H "fat-bottle" 6CA7s. One of the E-Hs fell and was damaged (12 years old,right?) so I tried the 6550s again. What a difference a buncha time on the trannies and other parts made. Or my ears aging. Or whatever.

Anyway, with an Allied power transformer and Transcendar OPTs you can buikld it for about $400 and have 5 to 7 single-ended pentode-run-in-triode watts. Or go with Ultralinear, more watts.
Re: Looking for a few extra watts for your Pis? [message #68627 is a reply to message #68576] Mon, 18 July 2011 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Makes you wonder what a really top of the line output transformer could do, huh? Maybe something from MQ, James, etc? Of course, you could also parafeed it, would take a bit more work, but could be done. The the experiments begin! By the way, have you tried the DHT SE amp board that he sells?
Re: Looking for a few extra watts for your Pis? [message #68647 is a reply to message #68627] Tue, 19 July 2011 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Bill, by the way, how does the Simple SE compare to the Simple 45?
Re: Looking for a few extra watts for your Pis? [message #68659 is a reply to message #68647] Tue, 19 July 2011 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I kinda dig the Electro-Harmonix 6550 and of course the Tung Sol tubes. I have a set of NOS Tung Sol 6550 tubes that are really sweet. But to tell the truth, I've not put any 6550s in my amp for quite some time. I've been using KT88s instead. Usually run Gold Lions, but Electro-Harmonix aren't bad either.

Re: Looking for a few extra watts for your Pis? [message #68660 is a reply to message #68647] Wed, 20 July 2011 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
SteveBrown wrote on Tue, 19 July 2011 17:56
Bill, by the way, how does the Simple SE compare to the Simple 45?

I hate to say it, but the SSE has more bass weight and the added headroom enables it to do a better job of portraying complex and/or loud passages, so...more dynamic. That's with no active pre-amp for either.

The 45 is tonally more accurate and if it had 6 or 7 watts would probably be the better of the two. "There's no substitute for cubic inches."

index.php?t=getfile&id=557&private=0
Re: Looking for a few extra watts for your Pis? [message #68661 is a reply to message #68660] Wed, 20 July 2011 08:31 Go to previous message
Grand Master
I don't disagree, Bill. One of my favorite amps I've built ended up with Ron. It was very much like the simple SE. They were mono blocks, used a 417a driver and any variety of "standard" output tubes like EL34's, 6550's etc. Had James OPTs and one of them really spendy V Caps as the coupling cap. I think those caps cost more than the OPTs! Anyway,very nice sounding amps.
Previous Topic: Modifed 4 Pi Build Report
Next Topic: 2 Pi tower Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 18:49:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout