Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Modifed 4 Pi Build Report (Design)
Re: Modifed 4 Pi Build Report [message #68635 is a reply to message #68630] Tue, 19 July 2011 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave_S is currently offline  Dave_S
Chancellor
Quote:
What is the internal dimensions of your speakers?

They are 13.25 x 21.5 X 33.

I put the first coat of finish on last night. The speakers are looking pretty good. My last mistake was with the black paint around the opening. Masking would have been the smart thing to do. The paint soaked into the wood grain more than I expected and I sanded through some of the veneer trying to get it off. There are a couple of tricks to at least try hide the mistake a bit. I may even take a step back and splice in a new piece of veneer on the worst part. A grill will always be a possibility. I already have speaker cloth and mounting hardware, since I have a cat that may decide to sharpen his claws on the JBLs anyways.
Re: Modifed 4 Pi Build Report [message #68651 is a reply to message #68635] Tue, 19 July 2011 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nichol1997 is currently offline  Nichol1997
Chancellor
Oh, wow. You really made these a lot bigger. My internal dimensions are 12.75 x 17 x 32. I only changed the height (+7") from the original design.

Sorry to hear about the paint bleeding onto the veneer. Have you tried removing it with a chemical. You could always stain the front baffle black.
Re: Modifed 4 Pi Build Report [message #68658 is a reply to message #68651] Tue, 19 July 2011 23:28 Go to previous message
Dave_S is currently offline  Dave_S
Chancellor
It is the few extra inches of width that start to make the speakers look bigger. I knew what I was getting in to.

I spliced in a new piece of veneer over the worst weak spot. It appears to be a nice splice. Assuming that I can get it sanded flush with the surrounding veneer, I can live with the other weak spots. I was able to pick up a Minwax pen that had varnish/stain in it for the other weak spots. Those spots are mostly along the edge of the woofer. It is a little blotchy, but acceptable. When I stand back 3 feet or more, I don't cringe any more.
Previous Topic: Setting 4pi LCR upside down in theater?
Next Topic: Looking for a few extra watts for your Pis?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 23:29:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio