Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pete's Home Theater Build
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #81233 is a reply to message #81215] Sun, 19 April 2015 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
Cool that you are making progress, will be following along with interest. I am still interested in the full monty Pi's when I retire and have room with corners.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #82322 is a reply to message #68358] Thu, 31 March 2016 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petew is currently offline  petew
Viscount
I've been gathering up parts and supplies to build a pair of 7Pi corner horns and a 4Pi center channel for quite some time. I've finally cleared enough stuff off the "to do" list that I can get this project underway.

The speakers will be behind an AT screen and acoustically transparent screen wall, so I'm not getting fancy with the cabinets. I'm using good quality BC plywood from the big orange box. I'll apply duratex for a quick and easy finish that looks decent. I do plan to take the time to make the mid horns nice looking since they're much more complicated to build than the bass bins. If I ever want to use the 7Pi corner horns out in plain sight I can always build nice looking bass bins.

I made good progress on the bass bins for all three speakers today. All the wood is cut and the sides and tops are glued together. I've also fabricated the ports, and installed the 4pi port into its cabinet.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1883&private=0

Here's a closeup of a couple of the compression drivers and the crossover PC boards.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1884&private=0

Box construction is straightforward - dado joints, cleaned up with a flush trim bit. The baffles will be glued in place.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1881&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1882&private=0

I'll run a roundover bit over all the edges and slather duratex on for finish. I used the same method on my 2Pi surrounds.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1885&private=0

I have not ordered crossover parts yet (except for the PC boards). I'll do that soon.

• Attachment: IMG_4699.jpg
    (Size: 210.12KB, Downloaded 3247 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_4701.jpg
    (Size: 201.46KB, Downloaded 3152 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_4702.jpg
    (Size: 191.74KB, Downloaded 3202 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_4703.jpg
    (Size: 165.63KB, Downloaded 3167 times)
  • Attachment: null.jpg
    (Size: 90.93KB, Downloaded 3088 times)
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #82618 is a reply to message #82322] Fri, 13 May 2016 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lookin' good!

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress. That's going to be an excellent system!

Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #83377 is a reply to message #68358] Tue, 23 August 2016 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I finally got things moving again. The bass bins are done, now on to the mid horns.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1944&private=0

I've posted details at avs. Sorry no time to post a thread here at the moment.

• Attachment: IMG_5404.jpg
    (Size: 217.42KB, Downloaded 2235 times)
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #92601 is a reply to message #68358] Sat, 14 November 2020 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I'm Back!

Over four years since my last post. Oh how life gets in the way. I did manage to finish the Pi 4, which sounds absolutely great.

I closed my business in early 2017 after nearly 35 years. It was a clean, planned shutdown. I went to work for a giant corporation designing wood trusses. So all is good with work life. But with a career change and other chaos, I never got anything more done on the speaker build.

Forward to 2018, my dishwasher had a valve fail one night and flooded my media room with scalding hot water. Amazingly there was very little damage to equipment but the room got trashed. I only had a bit of water on a subwoofer and one of the surrounds, but the damage was only cosmetic. It took three weeks for the remediation company to get the house dried out.

Since I was "dead in the water" on the theater build, I decided to make the jump to Atmos. So my B&W Nautilus speakers and Emotiva preamp moved upstairs to the living room. I stripped out the damaged finishes from the theater and started planning.

I bought four DIYSG Volt 10 coax speakers with flatpacks for Atmos duty. As of right now those just need final assembly and installation.

I had planned to use discrete amplification with an XMC-2 from Emotiva (later changed my plans to the Monolith HTM-1). But after reading the excellent reviews on the Denon AVR-X3600H I decided to go that route instead with the receiver driving the surround and Atmos speakers. I have an Emotiva XPR-2 stereo amp for the Pi 7 corner horns and will use two channels of my three channel Rotel RB-993 to run the Pi 4 (I split the crossover HF and LF sections during assembly).

I have the AV side of my equipment rack just about completely built out with equipment mounted. Now I will finish and install the Atmos speakers, then get the Pi 7's completed. Once I get the sound system set up I will do acoustic tweaks as needed, then move on to video projection and finishes.

I'll be posting details and more pictures as I go!
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #92603 is a reply to message #68358] Sat, 14 November 2020 12:02 Go to previous message
Viscount
Here is a shot of the Volt 10 Atmos speakers. My Pi 2 surrounds are in the shot too.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2668&private=0

And the rack. I modified Emotiva rack mount kits for the Denon receiver and my Rotel amps that drive the speakers in my shop and yard. That mess of network equipment is moving into the closet behind the rack and I will install a shelf for my vintage Nakamichi gear. I will also rack mount my unRaid server and the monitor.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2669&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_8393.jpg
    (Size: 557.10KB, Downloaded 430 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_8394.jpg
    (Size: 697.70KB, Downloaded 411 times)
Previous Topic: H290C in Altec coaxial
Next Topic: Pi 3 questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:32:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects