Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pete's Home Theater Build
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #79283 is a reply to message #78089] Tue, 04 February 2014 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petew is currently offline  petew
Viscount
I'm looking for opinions on bass trapping. I've got a lead on some fairly high density foam acoustic panels from a recording studio that's being decommissioned. I could repurpose the panels easily to make bass traps in the front corners of my room. My question is what to do with corner traps once I get around to building my 7 pi corner horns? Could I place the corner horn as usual and keep the bass trap from the top of the cabinet to the ceiling or would it affect the performance of the corner horn?

And a somewhat related subject, I've got open bottom soffits that I have planned to stuff to also absorb bass. Would these foam panels be good for that application too?

I've read "you can't have too much bass trapping" as long as you don't make the room too dead. My room sounds really good now, I just want to jump on the free stuff if it might make it better.

A 200 amp Equi=Tech balanced power unit is coming out of this studio too. Any ideas how to market such a contraption? I figured I'd start with craigslist. Maybe try audiogon and flea bay too.
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #79342 is a reply to message #79283] Fri, 07 February 2014 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Damping is even more important than placement, in my opinion. Actually, it's not an opinion, the facts support this - You can measure more benefit from damping than anything else. The good news is framed drywall construction provides much better damping than hard walls, and most North American homes are made this way. The drywall acts something like a panel absorber. As for additional damping, it never hurts. I would prefer panel dampers to resonant bass traps though. A large lossy panel just works better.

Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #80146 is a reply to message #79342] Tue, 01 July 2014 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Oh what an interesting week it's been (and its only Tuesday).

Over the Memorial weekend and the following week, I worked on a cabin that my family is building in the Jemez Mountains in NM. Obviously, ear protection is always a top priority when working with power tools. I was diligent with my foam ear plugs.

Anyway, last week my right ear started to go kaput. I couldn't hear squat, and the left channel was fading too. I tried the over the counter remedies to no avail, and finally went to see the doctor yesterday. I hate going to the doctor - I always assume the worst.

After about 20 minutes with the pressure washer he knocked a massive wax plug out of the right channel. The left channel only took a few minutes to clear. I think a week of foam ear plugs and sweat pushed the crud up into the earholes. I'm hearing high frequencies and nuances that I had forgotten about! It got me thinking about all the great concerts and movies I've got queued up to listen to in my theater.

On a whim I searched eBay today for "2226H" and got a hit! Someone had a few for sale for only $200 each "buy now" plus $30 shipping. I ended up buying three for $600 with shipping included!! I should receive them next week. From the photos they appear to be in great shape, and the DC resistance of the coils was within expectations.

Finally I've taken the first step towards 7pi corner horns with a 4pi center. It'll be a while before I can start construction with the cabin and a hundred other projects ahead of me, but IT'S A START!!
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #80147 is a reply to message #80146] Wed, 02 July 2014 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, Pete, that's horrible about your ears! Well, actually it's great but what an ordeal.

Good to hear you're underway on the cornerhorns. You'll love 'em!

Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #80149 is a reply to message #80147] Fri, 04 July 2014 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Hello Wayne

I'm excited to finally finish my theater soundstage. I never did request plans for the four pi (center). Can you send a pdf when you get a chance?

Much appreciated!!
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #80150 is a reply to message #80149] Sat, 05 July 2014 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #80167 is a reply to message #68358] Thu, 10 July 2014 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I received the 2226H drivers this week. They look to be in excellent condition and got here unscathed due to great packaging. I just ordered three waveguides from Wayne. I'll keep collecting up parts as budget allows. I should have all the components on hand before I can fit the build into my schedule.

I'm really looking forward to building these!
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #80335 is a reply to message #80167] Fri, 29 August 2014 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
Any updates?

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: Pete's Home Theater Build [message #80414 is a reply to message #80335] Sat, 06 September 2014 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I received the horns from Wayne a few weeks ago. Delta 10a mids and DE250 cd's are on the way from Parts Express.

Still needed:
Wood (have 1/2" baltic in stock for the mid horns)
Crossovers
Free time
Pete's Home Theater Build [message #81215 is a reply to message #68358] Tue, 17 March 2015 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Getting closer here. I've got the living room end tables just about done, then I can start building pi's. Wayne is sending me a set of pc boards for the crossovers. The xo parts are in my wish list at Parts-Express, just waiting for me to do another double-check before I hit send. Plywood is on hand for the bass bins. I've got the mid horns modeled in sketch up. I'm itching to make dust!

Outlaw 990 prepro got retired in December and replaced with an Emotiva UMC-200 (nice piece). I'm ripping all my Blu-Ray and DVD discs to the server and I'll be exclusively using the HTPC. Finally had a belly full of forced ads and trailers on disc.

I'll be updating this with relevant information (instead of irrelevant rambling) as soon as I get under way.

Wayne, thanks for all you do!
Previous Topic: H290C in Altec coaxial
Next Topic: Pi 3 questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:42:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers