Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3pi, smaller cab possible?
3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68321] Thu, 23 June 2011 18:27 Go to next message
smokarz is currently offline  smokarz
Baron
i really like the AE 12" driver and those seems to have a huge following. however the current size could be a bit challenging for my small room.

is it possible to go smaller on the cab, maybe in a sealed config?

sorry, i understand Wayne has spent countless times on finessing his designs, but just had to ask.

thanks!
Re: 3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68322 is a reply to message #68321] Thu, 23 June 2011 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I dunno, man, it is one sweeet speaker. I wouldn't mess with it.

Of course, you can do just about anything you can dream up. But if you want the best results, you'll need to do your homework. Some modeling and testing would be in order.

To tell the truth, these speakers work well in even very small rooms. They're big compared to mini-monitors, but they're really not that big. Make a nice looking cabinets, put them on classy stands and enjoy.

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2011/Photos/LSAF_2011_115.jpg

Re: 3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68323 is a reply to message #68322] Thu, 23 June 2011 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
thanks wayne, i just love your set up man.

simple, yet really cool.

just wondering, is it ideal to have the speakers so close together?
Re: 3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68324 is a reply to message #68323] Thu, 23 June 2011 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, it makes the preferred listening area narrower. But if all you need is a few feet for a couch, I guess that's alright. That photo was taken in a small hotel room. No room for any wider spacing.

If you separate the speakers further, you'll have more room for people to sit in. The uniform directivity and toe-in makes the "sweet spot" seating area very wide.
Re: 3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68393 is a reply to message #68324] Thu, 30 June 2011 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
wayne, someone model the TD12S in a 2cf sealed box and it looks pretty good, what do you think?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=216390&d=1309395818
Re: 3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68394 is a reply to message #68393] Thu, 30 June 2011 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think models like that don't include the effects of internal standing waves. They cause ripple in response at higher frequencies; Where I'm mostly concerned in a loudspeaker like this is the lower midrange.

On the other hand, a 2 cubic foot box is getting small enough the internal standing waves will probably shift high enough in frequency the stuffing can attenuate them pretty well. Might work pretty well.

Re: 3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68396 is a reply to message #68321] Thu, 30 June 2011 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
thanks much wayne. a smaller sealed cab is so much easier to integrate into my small room.

if i go with the TD12S and DE250 sealed, will i be able to use your prebuilt 3pi crossover? thanks
Re: 3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68401 is a reply to message #68396] Thu, 30 June 2011 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you baffle mount the horn and midwoofer, and maintain the same vertical spacing, it should give pretty much the same forward lobe. So yes, I would expect the three π crossover to work well.

Re: 3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68431 is a reply to message #68321] Sat, 02 July 2011 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
wayne, baffle mount meaning mounting the horn and woofer from outside? no recess?

also, can i have the 3pi plan?

thanks
Re: 3pi, smaller cab possible? [message #68434 is a reply to message #68431] Sat, 02 July 2011 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've sent plans to your email address.

You can route to recess the woofer and the tweeter or surface mount both of them. Just don't do one and not the other. As long as they are both flush or routed on the baffle, their depth (distance from the listener) the same, i.e. one won't be further than the other, which would angle the forward lobe up or down.

Also, maintain the same vertical distance between the woofer and tweeter. For example, don't move the tweeter up outside the box unless you move the woofer up a distance to match. I don't think that's in the cards for you, but it might be worth saying, just in case.

Previous Topic: 4 Pi plans
Next Topic: 3pi sub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:31:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout