Home » Audio » Craftsmen » You say you'd like to use Formica on the cabinets...
You say you'd like to use Formica on the cabinets... [message #68094] Wed, 08 June 2011 08:27
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
...but you don't have a fancy triple-chip blade or the cojones to pull the workpiece thru the saw backwards? Is that your problem Bunkie?

Rejoice!!! If you can afford a $7 carbide hand cutter you can make factory-quality cuts in laminate.

They sell the plastic handled, carbide blade cutters on every street corner. All you do is score the Face/Good side of the laminate 3 or 4 or 12 times, then close the faces like you were closing a book and it snaps nice and clean.

index.php?t=getfile&id=474&private=0

Make sure to anchor the workpiece AND the straightedge. If either moves while you are scoring the face, well..... I like to make 3 passes with the cutter all the way along the intended cut, then I make 3 more from the middle to the edge, concentrating on the edge, from both directions. Leave the straightedge in place and SNAP!!! Remember, "close the book"; face side to face side.

index.php?t=getfile&id=475&private=0

Nice and clean, n'est ce pas?

Here are the cut pieces for the SIQ (sub-woofer in question)

index.php?t=getfile&id=476&private=0

BTW, the SIQ are the BatSpeakers cut down to a more manageable size. I used the table saw and, as usual, one cut of the four was off from the rest. Not to worry, after I glued on the new top/bottom, I finished the reconstructive surgery with strips of veneer and lots of Tite-bond which later got trimmed and Bondo'd.

index.php?t=getfile&id=477&private=0
Previous Topic: Thorens DIY-ers
Next Topic: Too much DIY?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:06:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers