Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Me Want Valve Amp. 8^)
Re: Me Want Valve Amp. 8^) [message #8999 is a reply to message #8997] Mon, 30 May 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi There; I have been looking at the Mag 15 and even posted that site on this forum some time ago. That amp you have seemed so simple to design I wondered how good it could sound. You say it is very good, have you compared it to any other amps? The Mag uses a Paraphase splitter which made me nervous but in reality those old Magnavox amps sound very good so I would be interested to hear your opinion about the CGV as opposed to any other similar amps.

Which speaks do you use?
You can't beat his price.

Re: Me Want Valve Amp. 8^) - CGV300B [message #9000 is a reply to message #8999] Mon, 30 May 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Black is currently offline  Russell Black
Esquire
I can't compare this with other tube amps (I come from a solid state background, but I can tell you this - the sound is detailed, clean and naturalistic. I can follow basslines better with this amp than any other I have heard. The imaging/soundstaging is great - its not like other amplifiers - its a little hard to describe, but it can be very impressive.

I guess there is alot to be said for good circuit design and sensible parts selection, as opposed to needless complexity and expense.

My only "reservation" is that I would love to hear the MAG15 - more power and punch.

Of course all this is completely subjective

I have a pair the Bob Brines FT1600s (mark 1).

Re: Me Want Valve Amp. 8^) - CGV300B [message #9001 is a reply to message #9000] Mon, 30 May 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks; Your reply is very helpfull. How did you come to decide on Gabes stuff if I may ask? Also what do you think about the Tube rectifier vs the SS rectifier option?

Re: Me Want Valve Amp. 8^) - CGV300B [message #9002 is a reply to message #9001] Mon, 30 May 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Black is currently offline  Russell Black
Esquire
I did a lot of looking at the net, tried to sort out the hype and in the end I took a punt. What swung me (other than price) was the amount of information on Gabes site - pictures are one thing, but sometimes I prefer a thousand words.

I'm no electronic guru, but you could do worse than take Gabes advice in this.

Re: Me Want Valve Amp. 8^) - CGV300B [message #9003 is a reply to message #9002] Mon, 30 May 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You are right he is very down to earth and hype-free. His schematics are tried and proven designs and he puts the money where it counts.

Reluctant Virgins [message #9004 is a reply to message #8992] Tue, 31 May 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Flea power SET amps are reluctant virgins. They're voluptuously sensuous and irresistibly sexy. Their voice is warm and soft. The fabric of their music is so real you can reach out and touch it (almost). But when you want to get down and dirty with some serious stuff they say in a whiney little voice "Ohhhh, Noooo, I can't do this".

Re: Reluctant Virgins [message #9005 is a reply to message #9004] Tue, 31 May 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It was tough being a teenager wasn't it?

Re: Reluctant Virgins [message #9006 is a reply to message #9004] Tue, 31 May 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Reluctant Virgins [message #9008 is a reply to message #9005] Tue, 31 May 2005 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, I was a teenager back in a simpler time when "nice girls" were prim and proper and didn't do it, but solid state amps and digital sources hadn't been developed yet, and a small speaker was one with a 12" woofer, so it wasn't all bad.

Re: Reluctant Virgins [message #9010 is a reply to message #9008] Wed, 01 June 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Oh believe me I know; "Shh! my mom is home."
Too bad we bought that nice girl thing.

Previous Topic: November 2005 Vacuum Tube Valley Southern California Audio Festival
Next Topic: Power Supply suggestions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 20:53:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout