Home » Audio » General » Radio stations that still play lps?
Radio stations that still play lps? [message #67984] Wed, 01 June 2011 13:35 Go to next message
ddarch88 is currently offline  ddarch88
Esquire
Hi,

We have a local station that plays lps every Saturday morning, which got me wondering if there is a station that still plays ALL vinyl, and if so, do they also have an internet station?

Dave

Dave Archambault
Vintage Turntable Guru
www.vinylnirvana.com
www.vintagethorens.com
Re: Radio stations that still play lps? [message #67990 is a reply to message #67984] Wed, 01 June 2011 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Serena is currently offline  Serena
Chancellor
I hear radio on a web site called Live365 (Live365.com). They have many radio stations on all genres. They have one called Rare Oldies Vinyl Vault, and they play some great vinyls. You should check it out.
Re: Radio stations that still play lps? [message #68857 is a reply to message #67990] Fri, 05 August 2011 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goatmaster is currently offline  Goatmaster
Chancellor
Yeah, but to post a station on Live 365, you would have to convert all the vinyl recordings to digital ones. Does that count?

I used to work for two different radio stations as a DJ and a production engineer and both stations converted their entire library to CD or hard disc formats when I was there. I was lucky enough to buy some of LPs before they were all gone. Smile Both stations kept their turntables for instances where LPs were the only available format, but they relocated them to production room so they could be converted to digital formats and then integrated into the live broadcasts from there.
Re: Radio stations that still play lps? [message #68859 is a reply to message #68857] Fri, 05 August 2011 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator

AudioRoundTable.com has a streaming radio station that is hosted on Live365.com. You can access it by clicking the little portable radio icon, in the top right corner where it says "ART Radio".

We pay a monthly licensing fee through which Live365 uses to pay royalties to the music companies. This is the same thing that radio stations do. In the agreement, we are only able to play two or three consecutive songs from one artist before rotating in another artist. I'm not sure if there are other licensing agreements that could be entered into, but I think ours would prohibit playing a whole album side as consecutive songs.

We end up making a playlist that has a mix of lots of different kinds of cool music, and we change the playlist from time to time. If we try to insert more than a couple songs in a row by the same artist, the system will not allow it. So we have to order the songs in a way that would break up an album side into many separate songs, intermingled with other material from other artists.

Re: Radio stations that still play lps? [message #68877 is a reply to message #67984] Sun, 07 August 2011 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I think radio stations that still use LPs are few and far between; most have switched to CDs or digital formats. Does the LP quality survive the compression anyway?
Re: Radio stations that still play lps? [message #68896 is a reply to message #67984] Sun, 07 August 2011 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, That's a really hot button question. Rolling Eyes IMHO absolutely. But then there are plenty of folks who might disagree. Compression at any level will alter the detail content and overall balance of the music. If it was possible to un-compress it equally on the receiving end then in theory it should be fine. I personally don't know of any commercial receivers that do that. This is similar to the Dolby "B" methodology, only uncontrolled in action. At least there were standards for how it was to be done. I grant that much of the time it was not any where near 100% correct and in some cases pretty dismal. I for one am glad that companders and expanders have pretty much disappeared from the music scene at the consumer level. You will find them in use by the artists for special effects though.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Radio stations that still play lps? [message #82306 is a reply to message #67984] Tue, 22 March 2016 23:23 Go to previous message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
At this point in time I think we're all relegated to being our own radio station at home with our vinyl when we have a few hours to spare.

Some kids these days don't even know what LP stands for much less what it physically is.
Previous Topic: I Want To Go Retro
Next Topic: Headphones for Android Phones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:50:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout