Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Poddwatt - First Posting of a Project Link
Poddwatt - First Posting of a Project Link [message #67907] Sat, 28 May 2011 22:31 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, Hard to tell where to put some posts (feel free to move them Wayne). I just posted a link in "group builds" to the project that was the fore runner of the Poddwatt amps. There are a few updates in progress and I'll post them as they pan out. The amp in the link is virtually identical to the one I brought to LSAF. So warm up the soldering irons.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Poddwatt - First Posting of a Project Link [message #73180 is a reply to message #67907] Sun, 01 July 2012 22:38 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, An old thread, but as good a place as any to post some information. All you folk (if there are any) that built or bought a Poddwatt listen up. I have been doing a lot of testing with an updated version (now called a series IIB for convenience). I was testing the performance and sound qualities of several possible tube combinations. Here are some results.

Lowest distortion JJ EL84s and JAN Phillips 5751 (the exact ones in the kits). Very nice sound, good detail, clean presentation and smooth.

For a bit brighter top end, but perhaps my newest favorite. JJ EL84s and JJ ECC803S (yes a 12AX7 variant. Much like the Phillips but a little brighter top end. Stunning on string instruments.

For an even hotter top end JJ EL84s and Sovtek 5751. Too hot for my liking, but might be good in a laid back system.

Not recommended JJ 5751. Seems to have a rather forward upper mid range.

For power tubes. The JJ have the lowest distortion and to my thinking the best sound overall.

New production Mullard EL84s. Higher distortion, but nice sound.

EH EL84s. Much like the Mullards, but a little less distortion.

Now some things to think about. The lowest distortion combination had right at 0.45% at 1 watt at any frequency from 20 HZ to 20K. The worst was 0.75% over the same range. So really the Poddwatt can use pretty much any set of tubes. I will probably try some other tubes as they cross my path. But the JJ84s and JJ803S is going to be tough to beat.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: EL156
Next Topic: Under-Biasing Output Tubes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:27:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers