Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Repairing Veneer Damage: On-The-Job-Training
Repairing Veneer Damage: On-The-Job-Training [message #67865] Thu, 26 May 2011 10:23 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You may recall the disaster I had gluing up the veneer

index.php?t=getfile&id=436&private=0

there were cracks that exposed the backing.

I never had to go beyond fixing a sand-thru with a magic marker before so I Googled and Martinelli'd some advice.

Went to Michaels and bought Artists Colors: Van Dyke Brown, Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber and a Fine and Way Finer brush, Taklon Brand.

Linseed oil is the medium for these colors; ya dip the brush in it (I used the same Watco that's the cabinet finish) swirl it around in the paint on a small sheet of glass until you get a consistency and tone you like and paint it on. I found that more Linseed oil got the paint to adhere better than less. Advice I got said to apply the darkest tone first which is why you see what you do on the most damaged part. I'll come back and overpaint with some lighter tones after the dark dries.

What you don't see in this next pic are a lot of narrow longitudinal cracks that went away (well, almost, my living room is darker than the camera flash Laughing ) immediately upon application of the paint.

index.php?t=getfile&id=437&private=0

I was really hesitant about trying this but now I feel like a regular Vincent Van Schwartz!!
Re: Repairing Veneer Damage: On-The-Job-Training [message #67866 is a reply to message #67865] Thu, 26 May 2011 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've had guys here in Tulsa repair damaged veneer with paint like that, duplicating the fibers to some degree. But I don't think they were as attentive as you were. Seeing what you've done therereally impresses me. It looks to me like with the right attention to detail, you can make a repair that's truly undetectable. Good job, Bill!

Re: Repairing Veneer Damage: On-The-Job-Training [message #67906 is a reply to message #67865] Sat, 28 May 2011 22:26 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Good tips, Wood working is not one of my strong points. I can bung up an orange crate. Now I know who to ask about fixing it. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Veneer advice (contd)
Next Topic: Thorens DIY-ers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:41:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers